Survival UK Forums

Full Version: know multiple routes "out".
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
here in the states it is common to find whole communities with only one road in and out.

Populations of several thousand that can be penned up like cattle with a single roadblock, fallen tree or flooded roadway.

I am fortunate to live in a rural area that is spiderwebbed with back roads and one lane paths. Most of them follow old game trails that became dirt roads and were then paved when autos became the norm.

From my house I can get to the Ohio River, 10 miles distant, on backroands and float to the Gulf of Mexico on a log if I need too.

In fact, if I towed my johnboat to the river I would be able to travel all the way to the Rocky mountains, 2,000 miles distant, by water. I could go south to warmer climes and never have to paddle upstream for the entire way.

Sorry, I got a bit sidetracked.
(14 April 2013, 22:12)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]here in the states it is common to find whole communities with only one road in and out.

Populations of several thousand that can be penned up like cattle with a single roadblock, fallen tree or flooded roadway.

I am fortunate to live in a rural area that is spiderwebbed with back roads and one lane paths. Most of them follow old game trails that became dirt roads and were then paved when autos became the norm.

From my house I can get to the Ohio River, 10 miles distant, on backroands and float to the Gulf of Mexico on a log if I need too.

In fact, if I towed my johnboat to the river I would be able to travel all the way to the Rocky mountains, 2,000 miles distant, by water. I could go south to warmer climes and never have to paddle upstream for the entire way.

Sorry, I got a bit sidetracked.

Rocky Mountains....... Those are Jealousy Inducing words!!! I have tears in my eyes :'(
its also good practice to know routes on foot, local byways/bridalways and footpaths.
saying that a route `as the crow fliews/in a beeline ` might be the short route/distance dependant on your destination !
I live semi rural , got about six routes out of here , including one river, and an old railway track ...one direct route to open mountainside so I should be okay
I am not sure how it is in GB,

but I know that Canada can be crossed from east to west by water without walking more then 13 miles.

The U.S. can be traversed by water with only 25 miles walking.

In the old days the waterways were the best means of travel. Both England and the U.S. were laced with canal systems.

One should also scout out the rail system. Rail is built on no more than a 3% grade and is almost always above flood stage. If one is on foot, following the rail bed in rural areas avoids the road system and many prying eyes that are focused on them.
(15 April 2013, 13:41)Mosstrooper Wrote: [ -> ]its also good practice to know routes on foot, local byways/bridalways and footpaths.
saying that a route `as the crow fliews/in a beeline ` might be the short route/distance dependant on your destination !

I quite agree. I have walked/cycled all the paths, bridleway etc near me. And worked out non-road ways to safe locations. Roads may either be blocked intentionally, clogged by traffic, or be just make you too visible.

I also have my escape by boat planned. This may not be such an important one for people living inland a few miles though!
(15 April 2013, 22:07)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure how it is in GB,

but I know that Canada can be crossed from east to west by water without walking more then 13 miles.

The U.S. can be traversed by water with only 25 miles walking.

In the old days the waterways were the best means of travel. Both England and the U.S. were laced with canal systems.

One should also scout out the rail system. Rail is built on no more than a 3% grade and is almost always above flood stage. If one is on foot, following the rail bed in rural areas avoids the road system and many prying eyes that are focused on them.

England,..No,... but you can cross Scotland with very little walking, from Fort William to Inverness, up the Great Glen, while trying to avoid Nessy of course

As far as roads for us, there is only one in and one out, its a large loop, we only have one rail line for the Steamer., I wouldn't use either, as both head for larger communities
i've always heard it said that Railway Tracks are a no-no, not only will other people have the same idea so will raiders and looters, a nice long railway track is a good place for an ambush, plenty of places to hide, OK i suppose if you dont have any alternative but if you do i'd be inclined to use the alternate route.
There are lots of ambush points and they can't cover them all 24/7/365.25

Although walking along roads, railway lines, etc. is dodgey just go off to one side and although it will take longer it is likely it will be safer.
Pages: 1 2