Survival UK Forums

Full Version: The Final Frontier
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
We've done contraception, so, never one to bodyswerve awkward questions, I thought I would tackle death in the aftermath. Cheery topic for a Sunday morning.

I have read many of the comments on this Forum about a massive "die-off" in the aftermath of a life-threatening event, and I am curious to know how you have all prepared (if you have prepared) for such an event. Now, death and disease are not particularly selective, so there is the possibility that you or a loved one might succumb to disease or whatever. I can't see the Grim Reaper galloping past on his white horse, swinging a scythe, and yelling "Don't touch him, he's a prepper!", so I suppose the possibility of demise if there.

Have any of you actually ventured into prepping for the death or yourself or a family member? Please don't tell me that you carry a spare bodybag in your kit - I may be respectful but slightly incredulous.

I have dealt with all the legal aspects of death and probate in a past employment, but it's the actual event that I can see causing problems. After all, it is not going to be practical to express a wish that your ashes be buried with your pet, Fido, in the back garden, so...... how do you deal with it?
personally, if its MY death i would like a "sky" burial, out in the open air like some of the American Indian tribes did, let the birds peck at my corpse until only bones remain. i suppose in a SHTF situation you need to remove the corpse as quickly as possible to stop infection, either bury it or burn in but if this is not possible remove it as far away from the living area as you can get it, i suppose you could lime it if you had access to that sort of thing.
(14 April 2013, 09:35)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]personally, if its MY death i would like a "sky" burial, out in the open air like some of the American Indian tribes did, let the birds peck at my corpse until only bones remain. i suppose in a SHTF situation you need to remove the corpse as quickly as possible to stop infection, either bury it or burn in but if this is not possible remove it as far away from the living area as you can get it, i suppose you could lime it if you had access to that sort of thing.

yeah see that on the tv my wife was horrified but i thought we all goes back to the earth in the end.
yeah, you dont get out of this life alive!!Big Grin
I honestly don't care what happens to my flesh after the owner has exited stage left, it was just a container anyway. Build a big pyre set TH on top and watch me light up the Sky baby.
.... but I think Mary is asking not what to do with the bodies, but how you will cope if your wife, sister, brother, parents are some of the ones who die.

.... and to be quiet frank, I dont even want to think about it, I am aware that if the event is bad enough that death could effect us all, but as survivors, or at least people who prep for survival, it isn't something that a survivalist spends a lot of time thinking about.

I like to think that if my wife died, then I would carry on, that's certainly the way I am seeing it at the moment, my wife wouldn't want me to collapse in a shivering heap and die along side her

I dread the thought of dieing, not for me but for her, she is a very strong person, but I am sure that she will be the first to admit, that she isn't up to self survival,..and would probably seek out others.

...but as a general, we as prepers will discus what to do about other bodies we find, but by our very nature as prepers we prep for staying alive,... but as always with an open mind if it came to those around us
it wouldnt be any different in SHTF from now, if a member of your family died you would have to go on as best you could, either that or completely give up and join them, this has happened in my own family, my uncle died and aunt couldnt live without him so she joined him less than a week later.
if its what to do with bodies, if its someone i care about (unless i knew they wanted something else) they would be buried, if i didnt know who they were i would leave them be unless it was going to affect me in which case id pile them up and burn them.

as for how to cope with loosing someone, well thats one hell of a difficult question and one i feel i cant answer. I would like to say id carry on reguardless but in truth you dont know how a death will affect you. it may be that you rise and carry on or you might not be able to cope with the loss and just give up.

the fact is dealing with loss affects everyone differently, loosing your phone or your lucky pants might be annoying or maybe even upsetting but you can always get another because they are just things. but when it is someone you love, be that your child/parent/partner they are not so easy to replace unless you are truly heartless.
(14 April 2013, 15:17)Hex Wrote: [ -> ]when it is someone you love, be that your child/parent/partner they are not so easy to replace unless you are truly heartless.

i dont know that anyone said anything about replacing them. in my case i would just get on with life as best i could, its probably that not everyone is going to make it through TSHTF and some people will lose members of their family in the process, sad but unless your gonna give up and join them you have to just get on with life.
totally agree with you BP, all i was meaning is that its easy to replace for example a mobile phone (not that you would have known that with the way some materialistic fools behave) but its not so easy to get over loosing a loved one.
Pages: 1 2 3 4