Survival UK Forums

Full Version: what are we missing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just having a think and we have lots and lots of useful information up on this website, especially if we delve back into long forgotten threads and such like, but are we missing anything?

if theres anything anyone thinks we need to have up, post it so we can get a list together of areas of knowledge we could improve, theres bound to be some as we can't have covered everything!

that way we got some areas that we can look into and try and build resources in regards to these areas Smile

here's a few i think we could improve on;

construction techniques, plumbing, wiring up electrical systems (would be great to have a good DIYer chat about these)
specifics on hiding stashes(good techniques for making stuff hidden, places to hide etc.), medical diagnoses and procedures

anyway theres a few things i think would be cool Smile
I think that's a great idea HS, especially for new........... and old members come to think of it. GOOD POINT
Yes good idea what about 'storage solutions' I think most people on here need more storage space of one sort or another .Big Grin
(17 April 2013, 11:47)David075 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes good idea what about 'storage solutions' I think most people on here need more storage space of one sort or another .Big Grin

look under the heading of FOOD, sub heading STORAGE. a lot of this stuff has already been covered, you just need to look under the appropriate heading to find it.
It's hard for me to see what's missing on these boards, since as a newbie I'm still ploughing through what IS here with a kind of gobsmacked wonder.

But I think it's always a good idea to consider what we haven't yet talked about much (or at least not that I've found yet!!). I'd really like to talk about the practical reality of those first weeks post SHTF, for instance - eg what one does to hide the sight of smoke or the sound of a generator. The secret stashes is also a good subject, and I've personally found some very valuable info here: http://www.truthistreason.net/downloads/...laces.pdf

Knowing these boards, you'll probably already have this link, but I think it's worth repeating. The first half of the book doesn't help much, as it's concerned with hiding small things like documents and diamonds (!!!), but the latter part is really useful. Thanks to this, I've hidden two month's worth of food in the kitchen all by myself - but although I've already identified it and have the wherewithal to make it, I think the 'secret room' will have to wait until my husband's on board. He might be tolerant of my sudden fad for hand-cranked laundry, but if I start bricking up alcoves I think he's going to notice...
some of the things mentioned are on the board and as BP pointed out it's just a case of finding it in the sub forums

the more you use the forum and look at the older threads the more familier you become with the place and get to know where things are.

Failing that you could always ask those type of questions in the Homestead section as that would be a sensable place for those type of things.

Personally I think we don't need a DIY section and the medical stuff already has a forum too
aye its not so much what forums we're missing, more a case of areas of knowledge we can improve upon, doubtless there's much i haven't even seen yet, and i've been here awhile, also theres a difference between touching on a subject and going into it in depth Smile

anyway if its a simple case of post what you can't find here, and then someone directs you to the relevant thread that you couldn't find, its still worthwhile.
Watch this space, I may be new here but am talking with skean about this very thing!
An area which I'd go as far as saying I have expertise in that in my biased opinion deserves its own category is URBAN SURVIVAL.
Iv delivered practical and class room lessons on the subject and hope that discussions with SD will see a tailored guide for living in a built up area post event.
It's likely the most overlooked subject in surviving catastrophic societal events even though its something we all will face, even if the extent of your experience will be escaping urban environments and think you'll be out of town pretty quickly you must remember you are escaping through chaos as likely you won't have advanced warning.
Im happy to share my knowlage on this and extract relevant info from my lesson plans if people are interested, but as I say, this is something I'm discussing with SD to have posted on the main site for everyone's reference.
Jack
Its always worth re-visiting old threads and ideas from time to time, I realise that some old hands might find it repetitive, but it good to do for a few reasons,...

First of all, there are always new members who have joined that have new ideas, we can learn from a person who started to prep yesterday as easily as someone who has been prepping for years

Often new members have skills now that can help with a subject,..skills that were not represented the first time around

....and it doesn't do us all any harm to be refreshed a little in any subject,... we can all be forgetful