Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Good Value Grub
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Well, another week's shopping done and yet again I notice that prices have continued on their upwards trend. Must be tough for some people out there. Money seems to be getting tighter.

I am always on the look out for ways to feed my family well and for the lowest price, and I don't mean on poor quality food. Some of you must have some really good recipes that you use time and again, and which come in at good low prices. Any ideas welcomed.
Will get OH on the case mary, as I type this she is taking 2 loaves of bread out the rayburn , soon as it cools a bit I will be right in there......the bread mary......dirty girl!
Oh, fresh home-baked bread! Is there anything to beat that? Does your OH have a particular recipe she could share?

I'm out to collect as much info as possible to keep body and soul bound together by decent food. I'm a scratch cook, and I think it is the only way to go, not to mention the health benefits to the family purse!

By the way, what is this well oiled beef, or whatever?
OH will sort out some recipes mary, she's writing them out with her left foot ( which is free at the moment ) ....well that's what she said....all because I said I would like a hammy sanni .......uuummmm can't continue .......eating.....and she is...nowt as fickle as mine....ham home cooked to yum yum

By the way mary we are about to make a starter (sour dough ) ....you create your own yeast ...so you do not need to stock dried yeast ...will post it with the other recipes tomorrow

Lets start off here .....BACHELDRE WATERMILL stoneground strong bakers white flour 25 kg bag £22.24 sold on amazon repeat order to suit your needs (smaller quantities can be ordered ) this flour is fantastic and very top quality , we have baked our own bread for years , this flour is THE BEST five stars ! every time friends visit ...its the first thing they ask for .....and no wonder....you can bake most ALL types of bread ...a wide range, your first loaf , you will be hooked .
Don't you just LOVE MaryN for all you great advice on cooking and gardening and her sense of humour.

(22 April 2013, 22:27)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]OH will sort out some recipes mary, she's writing them out with her left foot ( which is free at the moment ) ....well that's what she said....all because I said I would like a hammy sanni .......uuummmm can't continue .......eating.....and she is...nowt as fickle as mine....ham home cooked to yum yum

By the way mary we are about to make a starter (sour dough ) ....you create your own yeast ...so you do not need to stock dried yeast ...will post it with the other recipes tomorrow

Lets start off here .....BACHELDRE WATERMILL stoneground strong bakers white flour 25 kg bag £22.24 sold on amazon repeat order to suit your needs (smaller quantities can be ordered ) this flour is fantastic and very top quality , we have baked our own bread for years , this flour is THE BEST five stars ! every time friends visit ...its the first thing they ask for .....and no wonder....you can bake most ALL types of bread ...a wide range, your first loaf , you will be hooked .

You just use strong bakers flour for all your cooking.
I was taught by a friend of mine (almost finished renovations and recipe to get his 1st Mitchy star!!!) that if you use great ingredients the food will at least taste of the ingredients, so get the best you can. Pretty good logic hu? So I'm with you on this one.

You know who makes the best courgettes and they cost about 3p each? Any damn gardener out there!!! haha. Same as growing garlic, easy to do and cheap as can be! Chile plants are easy to grow by a window as well. Couple that with ghee, oil, and lemon, and you're laughing!

One of my favourite snacks is.....

1 tea spoon of grapeseed oil (100x better than olive oil or veg oil for cooking)
3 courgettes, slices like crisps through a potato peeler
1 pinch of chile flakes
1 clove of garlic on the end of a fork as a spatula
a pinch of salt and pepper
a small scoop of ghee (about 1/2 a table spoon)
and a splash of lemon (add once food is on the plate.

It's stunning!!! And the carbs digest very slowly thanks to the ghee, while the chile flakes increase thermogenics and help burn fat. The courgette itself has so few calories that it's a damn good meal. Oh, and the lemon retards insulin spikes giving a nice regular blood sugar level. Healthy and fricking delicious!!!

Oh, also, eggs, parsley and lemon (again add lemon once food is on the plate) delicious scrambled eggs!!!
Straight shooters marinade
for barbeques

ingredients
2 tblspns veg oil
2 tblspns dark/light soy sauce
2 tblspns clear honey
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tspn caraway seeds
1 tspn ground coriander
1/4 tspn hot chilli powder

METHOD
throw all the above into a mixing bowl give it a whip up so its all infused ..and that's it.. this will be good for about 1 lbs of meat , cut meat into cubes , throw into the mix and coat up the meat leave it for 1 to 2 hours and cover with a cloth. stick the meat onto a skewer along with some peppers, onion, mushrooms whack them on the barby or under the grill turn them so evenly done ABOUT 8 mins ....tip ....be quick to get yours first , they are delicious, there will be none left! it has been known for people to loose their fingers at my place due to the scrabble to eat fast to get more....greedy buggers down here in south wales
SS, try changing the veg oil for grapeseed oil. Grapeseed takes the flavour of whatever you're mixing it with. Also, it has a higher smoking point than veg oil, if I remember correctly.
For UKS no not for ALL our baking, but TBH not tried, but will try out , OH did bake some hot crossed buns ......superb they were

S13 do you mean RAPESEED OIL

Mrs SS homemade chicken nuggets
ingredients
12 oz chicken breast
1 large onion diced
1 small apple peeled and grated
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 1/2 fresh white breadcrumbs
1 chicken stock cube crumbled
2 oz cheese & onion crisps crushed
veg oil for frying
METHOD
put first 6 ingredients into a processor and chop until well combined
shape into flat discs
mix together crisps and breadcrumbs, coat the shapes , fry in oil till done,
I am hungry now!

Mrs SS bread...day to day loaf

500 grams flour
1 tblsp salt
7 grams dried yeast
300 mil luke warm water
I glug of olive oil

METHOD
put flour in bowl
add salt
add yeast BUT DO NOT TOUGH THE SALT
add glug of olive oil and water
mix together
turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 mins until pliable stretchy dough
roll into a rough ball and place into a greased or floured bowl
cover top in Clingfilm leave to raise until doubled in size
turn out onto floured surface knock out air
tip into a 2lb loaf tin (greased)
place the tin in a warm place and cover with clean dry tea towel
allow to raise approx. 1 hour or doubled in size lightly dust with flour
preheat oven gas 6 ...bake time 35 mins
if you like crusty loaf , place some ice cubes in a tray and place in bottom of oven at the same time you place in the bread tin.
i`m overcome with hunger now !
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6