Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Covered during recovery?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone

This post is more towards the lone wolf style prepper, but as I'm sure you'll all have ideas (please share as I'm a bit lost with this one) keep reading.

Something happens post SHTF. You've managed to break your arm. Clean break, not life threatening, but you're not much use around the house, so to speak.

Well, here's where it get's fun, if something happened to your OH, or your compound was under attack, or something like that. Let's say you have to perform minor surgery on someone near you, or you need to sleep and as a result have no defences around, what would you do?

Would you be able to wash yourself properly when going through a vicious flu, or something like that? Is there medication to help stop the dizziness and disorientation, to the point where you could function at a semi-decent level?

I never get ill, and although I do get injured, I always manage to recover or perform my own surgery (not recommended as it leads to infections about 30% of the time, which I then use boiling water, or a needle and antiseptic to sort out, which isn't always effective, trip to the doctor to finalise those I can't sort out). But as I expect something to happen when I'm older, I can't rely on my immune system, and nor can anyone else rely on theirs, because we'll possibly be under nourished, dehydrated, and the alike by then, so immune systems will be down anyway.

The reason I'm asking the lone wolves mainly, is because I see this issue as a major flaw in being a lone wolf, unless there is something I'm totally missing as a way to sort this issue out.
Nothing new here. This has always been the issue with lone wolves. They have to sleep. They cannot do many things, including first aid, on themselves and even the simple task of going out for your toilet leaves your home unprotected.

There are advantages but imo outweighed by disadvantages.
In my case , I don't think I would last say 10 months if I am lucky, OH has some issues ....MY soul purpose is to prepare and teach my family members, however my med preps are well prepared for them ...for what I think would be relevant for their needs, but your right S13 short of that what would you do, I suppose you could break cover to find a medic ( if you knew where to find one ) or get some good books maybe...a tough one none the less
"Is there medication to help stop the dizziness and disorientation, to the point where you could function at a semi-decent level?"

when I was 19 and in military basic training I got strep throat. I put off going to the infirmary because it is very frowned upon. When I finally went I was in a semi-conscious state due to the high fever. the medics pumped me full of drugs and I was still out for 3 days unconscious. That was in my prime of health. now i'm in mid-forties and very far from prime condition.

if that were to happen post event, we have meds to treat the infection, but person may still be incapacitated for some time. if it happens to the group leader (me) and there is no one else capable of assuming the position, we could be in big trouble without the help/protection of others.

some guys dream of being an independent hunter/trapper/gatherer like the old timers did. what they don't realize is these types of men typically died young and alone.
nothing wrong with being a lone wolf, you just have to be more careful. lone wolfs can keep a much lower profile than larger groups,more people means more noise, more food, more water, more cooking smoke and smells, if your used to living alone its not that difficult.

its not going to be possible for everyone to join a large group, some wont have that option and will have to go it alone.

its going to be soooo quiet post SHTF i will be able to hear any "urban warrior " MILES away!!!Big Grin
It is not just an injury to ourselves, we can be as careful as we possibly can be and never get into any medical problems,.. but your wife could just as easily fall on winter ice and break her leg or worse, meaning that although the man of the house had been very careful indeed, he now has to spend time caring for his wife,... which basically leaves him in the same position as if he had injured himself.

At the moment I am a lone Wolf, I dont really want to be, but as yet we have no-one else on board, this is why I have said before that I am also prepping for another couple,...its just that they dont know it yet,... but when tshtf, I am hoping they will join us
i once triped down a pot hole and turned my ankle ,so the ankle bone hit the floor ,couldnt put any weight on it .if i was on my on then i would of been in a bad way ,so for me lone wolf is not a good idea
(24 April 2013, 15:39)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]nothing wrong with being a lone wolf, you just have to be more careful. lone wolfs can keep a much lower profile than larger groups,more people means more noise, more food, more water, more cooking smoke and smells, if your used to living alone its not that difficult.

its not going to be possible for everyone to join a large group, some wont have that option and will have to go it alone.

its going to be soooo quiet post SHTF i will be able to hear any "urban warrior " MILES away!!!Big Grin

That's great and all mate, but I feel my initial question has been ignored.

Let's say you get an ear infection, your hearing is gone. What now?

Being quiet means very little if they can see you.

If you're unwell, laid up in bed, how will you tend crops, harvest food, cook, and the alike? Those are the kinds of things I'm looking to learn about. Is there any medication that can make you feel normal for a hour or something?
For an account of how easily a "lone wolf" can come to a sticky end, I recommend "Into The Wild" by John Krakauer. It's a journalistic account of the true story of Chris McCandless, the young American from a privileged background who gave all his money away and strode off into the Alaskan wilderness, never to be seen again. IIRC, it was food poisoning that got him in the end.
(25 April 2013, 12:17)Tarrel Wrote: [ -> ]For an account of how easily a "lone wolf" can come to a sticky end, I recommend "Into The Wild" by John Krakauer. It's a journalistic account of the true story of Chris McCandless

Chris McCandless, AKA SuperTramp
Pages: 1 2