Survival UK Forums

Full Version: uses for meths
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im stockpiling meths, to go with my trianga stove, is there a way to use it for lighting, do the alcohol burner light thing's give off proper light, or is it very pale and blue, like the stove?

Oh, and those solid fuel block army stoves, can they be "turned off and relit" like the meths stoves? or are they a one use only thing.
(10 May 2013, 13:42)Franc Wrote: [ -> ]Im stockpiling meths, to go with my trianga stove, is there a way to use it for lighting, do the alcohol burner light thing's give off proper light, or is it very pale and blue, like the stove?

Oh, and those solid fuel block army stoves, can they be "turned off and relit" like the meths stoves? or are they a one use only thing.

Hexi blocks? you can put them out and relight, but they're pretty crap anyway, IMO. Stink of fish, and they do "go off" after a while. Also produce toxic fumes.

Go for those little gel cookers instead if you want a back up.
yeah, hexi, local gun shop has a small, palm size hexi stove, with blocks, and i was wondering if there reusable, ill probably stick with my meths stove, lovely bit of kit, small, and hot burning, relight-able. and for lighting, now im planning on candles, get 100 tealights for 2 quid, and they last for ages in storage. burn for 4 hours, ill put them in a small glass jar, with tinfoil on one half, to focus the light on what im doing.
(10 May 2013, 14:40)Franc Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, hexi, local gun shop has a small, palm size hexi stove, with blocks, and i was wondering if there reusable, ill probably stick with my meths stove, lovely bit of kit, small, and hot burning, relight-able. and for lighting, now im planning on candles, get 100 tealights for 2 quid, and they last for ages in storage. burn for 4 hours, ill put them in a small glass jar, with tinfoil on one half, to focus the light on what im doing.

Never tried to relight doused hexi blocks. Probably possible though. Same with anything, when it's dried out again it'll burn.

Yup, meths stoves are good. I have about 10 now Blush

Tealights are useful, got just over 1000 kicking around. I have found small parafin lights, used in restaurants. Burn for 72 hours. I bought a box of 24 for about £20 iirc. Handy little things.
I have a little, foldable gas stove thing. I use for when I'm walking in the hills and fancy a hot snack. I've used it quite a few times and still not ran out of gas.
I would buy an Army Hexi stove if I was you, I have several, I used a block the other day that was at least three years old and it lite no problem,... the beauty of these stoves are their simplicity, dont under estimate them, the Army didn't issues millions for nothing.

.... and Beardy,... they smell lovely..Smile, they always bring on good memories for me, probably because almost every time I have smelt them I got myself a cuppa and a meal
The army issues what is easily and regularly replaceable by its logistics core... Item price can also be a consideration to the Army, rather than quality.
(10 May 2013, 18:38)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I used a block the other day that was at least three years old and it lite no problem,...

I think the army issue ones are much better than the store bought ones. I picked up a load of packs from go outdoors a few years ago, little round blocks. Right sod to get burning now they're "old". Maybe the military ones have a bit more punch?
the price of gas bottles have caused me to use my meths as a means of cooking when out for a wild camp.
i have got Hexi stove also but its more of a back up
(13 May 2013, 08:37)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(10 May 2013, 18:38)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I used a block the other day that was at least three years old and it lite no problem,...

I think the army issue ones are much better than the store bought ones. I picked up a load of packs from go outdoors a few years ago, little round blocks. Right sod to get burning now they're "old". Maybe the military ones have a bit more punch?

Well all Military ones are square, so are clearly different,... you are probably right, because the ones I still get are from an Army buddy of mine