Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Virus and You
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
After the second french-man has died from the coronavirus. They now believe it to be passed human to human (source http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22502143)

So my question to you is are you preparing for viral outbreak and what would you do if such an outbreak occurred?

Apart from a few non-reusable masks i haven't put much thought into this in my preps.

Also was wondering would you let such a thing affect your personal life. would you reduce physical contact with spouse or children, go extream and sit in your gas mask or maintain usual contact.
I’m the same and not really prepared at all, it is a concern.
I’m a pretty unsociable type and try and avoid the masses so i wont be to worried about contact .... i hope Huh
(13 May 2013, 13:27)SecretPrepper Wrote: [ -> ]After the second french-man has died from the coronavirus. They now believe it to be passed human to human (source http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22502143)

So my question to you is are you preparing for viral outbreak and what would you do if such an outbreak occurred?

Apart from a few non-reusable masks i haven't put much thought into this in my preps.

Also was wondering would you let such a thing affect your personal life. would you reduce physical contact with spouse or children, go extream and sit in your gas mask or maintain usual contact.

From time to time we have all had these viruses in our lives. As there's no real treatments just the usual info, rest, drink plenty, take pain relief much like the common cold. This is a more serious strain though, usual victims being sick, weak, young, old and people with compromised immune systems. Spread by hand contact, sneezes and coughs. Best prevention is probably isolation, if its serious enough, extreme hand hygeine and maybe masks if you are treating someone in isolation. Problem is holiday time now and with more flights out, more chance of catching it. That's the reason the person was treated in Scotland as they had been next to someone on a plane infected with it. Anti bacteria hand gels, pain killers and disposable masks would make a good prep.
anything like this happens, we're going into "lockdown mode", total isolation, no going anywhere, we've got enough food for 6 months minimum.
(13 May 2013, 14:40)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]anything like this happens, we're going into "lockdown mode", total isolation, no going anywhere, we've got enough food for 6 months minimum.

Did a quick check on stocks yesterday, not quite 6 months but getting there. Its amazing how much it adds up when you just add a little to your shopping.Big Grin I think you're probably right about lockdown mode though.
(13 May 2013, 14:59)PaulandNell Wrote: [ -> ]
(13 May 2013, 14:40)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]anything like this happens, we're going into "lockdown mode", total isolation, no going anywhere, we've got enough food for 6 months minimum.

Did a quick check on stocks yesterday, not quite 6 months but getting there. Its amazing how much it adds up when you just add a little to your shopping.Big Grin I think you're probably right about lockdown mode though.
i've got the box of face masks and 100 rubber gloves in my store but thats only as a backup, my main prep will be total isolation, nobody comes in or out and the mailbox gets taped over.....
(13 May 2013, 15:07)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]i've got the box of face masks and 100 rubber gloves in my store but thats only as a backup, my main prep will be total isolation, nobody comes in or out and the mailbox gets taped over.....

what about contact with the otherhalf? would you stay in seperate rooms or would you wait till someone contracted the disease?
(13 May 2013, 17:27)SecretPrepper Wrote: [ -> ]
(13 May 2013, 15:07)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]i've got the box of face masks and 100 rubber gloves in my store but thats only as a backup, my main prep will be total isolation, nobody comes in or out and the mailbox gets taped over.....

what about contact with the otherhalf? would you stay in seperate rooms or would you wait till someone contracted the disease?

dont get you SP, we go into lockdown together when neither has the disease, wouldnt make much point if it was AFTER would it?
<2p>

If a virus takes hold somewhere, and it's a deadly one, you'll have around 24-48 hours warning the sustained human transmission was happening. As BP says, time for lockdown but I would say AFTER a few last preps. If you have six months or more supplies then consider lockdown immediately.

Some advice I've curated from various sources ..

1. Pull the children out of school immediately and start the family plan into action.
2. Moobile phones may come in handy - communication would be handy as you pick everything up around the stores and around town.
3. If you own multiple cars, have a family member drive each car (single-file, caravan style) to the same store.
Each of you take a trolley and a portion of this list. Meet back at the checkout and load all of the cars. NB: If the store has run out of an item you need, MOVE ON.
Do not waste time in this situation. Go to another store until you get it.

NB: You will need cash! Some stores may no longer accept credit or debit in this situation. In others, the phone lines may be down. Don't risk your survival because you do not have adequate cash on hand. Be prepared to spend considerably more than you would at any other grocery store run.

1. From home: call to renew your prescriptions for pick-up. Call doctor to arrange for more.
2. Extract around 75% cash from your bank account (save some for online bill payments; you may also need to make arrangements re: investments, but this may need to be done later at this point.
Right now you need to get supplies.) or the full amount your daily limit will allow.

Assuming you have NOTHING then start here NOW

From the pharmacy section/Superdrug

~ N95 masks (NIOSH-rated Medical Particulate Masks) and Disposable gloves (latex, vinyl or the best yet is Nitrile): (you will need these in the event
you leave the house again to pick up a forgotten or needed item)
~ bandaids
~ your prescription refills
~ vitamins: C and multivitamins
~ paracetamol, aspirin/ ibuprofen (many uses); 3 bottles each
~ any other over-the-counter meds you know you need (customise here)
~ 8 packages of 12-rolls toilet paper
~ 5 boxes tissues
~ batteries: know the kind you will need. buy at least 10 packages.
~ candles and/or tealights - buy whatever is left; at least 50
~ matches and lighters: buy 2 boxes matches; 10 lighters
~ tampons if needed: at least a years worth if you can:
~ shampoo and conditioner
~ toothpaste

* From the local grocery store:
~as many bags rice you can afford (remember, you need to be able to buy some of everything on this list)
~ 20 cans beans (90 would be needed for 3 mos)
~ 20 cans tuna/chicken/fish
~ 10 cans vegetables
~ 30- 60 large bottles of water (and you are going to need to come back for more!) ~ 20 bags pasta
~ 10 jars pasta sauce
~ 2 big bags potatoes (high in energy; keep long time)
~ 20 cans tomato paste (make your own pasta sauce)
~ energy bars; protein drinks;
~ bag/boxes of mixed nuts
~ bags of dried oatmeal
~ bags dried beans
~ 5 large bottles vegetable oil (sunflower, and olive are healthiest) ~ box sugar (biggest you can find)
~ box salt (biggest you can find)

~ pet food and/or baby supplies if needed
~ extra manual can-opener (yours might break!)
~ extra scissors (might lose yours!)
~ 5 jars peanut butter
~ 3 loaves bread
~ 10 bars/tubs butter
~ 10 blocks cheese
~ frozen meat
~ soups that dont need added water
~ rubbish sacks

* Go to local argos or whatever and buy:
o propane cooking stove ~ propane / camping gaz
~ torches (3)
~ firestarters
~ water purification tablets ~ battery-operated radio

* On way home: stock up on tank of petrol/diesel, extra Petrol. Fill any portable petrol containers you may have or can buy at the garage.

Less Essential Items to pick up if you have Time, Money and they are Available:

* chocolate
* coffee, teas
* 3 jars jam
* boxes macaroni and cheese * bag onions
* boxes powdered milk
* boxes of ritz or cream crackers and biscuits
* peppers/lettuce/tomatoes
* other fresh fruit and veggies
* other vitamins if you know you need them: Omega-3, antioxidants, meds for diarrhea
* key spices you use: garlic, mixed spice shakers, bouillon, cinnamon, turmeric, curry, ginger
* q-tips, rubbing alcohol, a ready-made first-aid kit * shaving cream and razors
* Paper plates, plastic forks, knives, spoons
* paper towels
* laundry soap

Really Less Essential (for urban survival) Items To Wait For Another Trip To Pick Up and then Only If You Really Need Them:

* sweeties, alcohol, tobacco (could be used for trade; but you should quit smoking at this point) * tools; rope; tape;
* cleaning supplies (bleach; disinfectant hand sanitizer with more than 60% alcohol; liquid dish detergent; very large white vinegar)
* Condiments - mayo, ketchup, BBQ Sauce, Salsa, creamers (presumably you will already have some of these anyway)
* Lotion and all other more luxurious personal care items
* entertainment items like books (you will already have some of these anyway)

For All Other Essential Survival Items You Will Need A Second Trip (at your own risk)

-----------

If someone in your family unit gets sick, then isolate in a sick room. I'll come back with things you need for a sick room

</2p>
Not prepared too much for viral outbreaks, though if someone in the household did get sick, they'd be in the shed lol.

far too risky!
Pages: 1 2 3