Survival UK Forums

Full Version: is your bug out bag going to get you killed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
good points raised. I am going for a minimalist approach with things that will last as long as possible. i am still in need of a couple of things such as an axe, a couple of other little things and my next project a canvas swag.

The kit being minimalist is to force it to be light enough to move in an not load me down. i also hate wearing backpacks so i am going with a different route
I have a fairly light bug out bag but I don't think I will manage 20 miles in a day 10 to 15 at most and I wouldn't push myself too hard unless I had to.
Good article. This is a really important issue!
Two week backpacking, wild-camping trip across Scotland in April = 28 lbs, including carrying four days' food at one time, a camera and other luxuries such as an mp3 player and book.

Drop the luxuries and add in more food and you could be totally independent for a week at 30 lbs.

Suggesting a weight even approaching 50 Lbs is ludicrous.

(14 May 2013, 17:01)SecretPrepper Wrote: [ -> ]good points raised. I am going for a minimalist approach with things that will last as long as possible. i am still in need of a couple of things such as an axe, a couple of other little things and my next project a canvas swag.

The kit being minimalist is to force it to be light enough to move in an not load me down. i also hate wearing backpacks so i am going with a different route

An axe is heavy, even something like the Grnsfors wildlife hatchet. Why not go for a Laplander folding saw? Featherweight and just as useful, if not more so. (Cheaper too!)

Swag sounds interesting. What advantage does this have over a conventional sleeping bag / mat / tent or bivvy in UK conditions? I don,t know much about them.
(14 May 2013, 23:20)Tarrel Wrote: [ -> ]Two week backpacking, wild-camping trip across Scotland in April = 28 lbs, including carrying four days' food at one time, a camera and other luxuries such as an mp3 player and book.

Drop the luxuries and add in more food and you could be totally independent for a week at 30 lbs.

Suggesting a weight even approaching 50 Lbs is ludicrous.

(14 May 2013, 17:01)SecretPrepper Wrote: [ -> ]good points raised. I am going for a minimalist approach with things that will last as long as possible. i am still in need of a couple of things such as an axe, a couple of other little things and my next project a canvas swag.

An axe is heavy, even something like the Grnsfors wildlife hatchet. Why not go for a Laplander folding saw? Featherweight and just as useful, if not more so. (Cheaper too!)

Swag sounds interesting. What advantage does this have over a conventional sleeping bag / mat / tent or bivvy in UK conditions? I don,t know much about them.

The light option for an axe would be the sog fast hawk there is not a lot of weight to it, good for camping, shelter building
I saw another piece the other day along the same lines, their solution was to disguise the bag,.. instead of a rucksack, they used a guitar case, almost as much space, and who would think to rob a nutter carrying a guitar
HL ....if I saw someone carrying a guitarcase after TSHTF and it said GIBSON on the case then I would !! Big Grin
A guitar case can carry a gun, useful. Re: the hatchet being heavy, it's true, but have you ever tried to sharpen a stake with a saw ? For building shelter a hatchet is very useful, it's also great for splitting up kindling, hammering in nails, chopping down trees without getting the blade stuck, opening a tin of beans, and more. A saw is useful too, I have a Silky Fox Zubat which I thoroughly recommend, but if I had to choose one tool it would be the hatchet.
Ounces equals pounds, pounds equal pain.
Pages: 1 2