Survival UK Forums

Full Version: how to skin, gut and cook a rabbit. with pics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(15 May 2013, 21:44)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Hl do you do anything with the hides?

I did once tan a hide, but that was a few years ago, I haven't done one for ages,.. I brain tanned it, quiet easy to do, its the cleaning of the hide that takes the time
The fir can really be a nuisance at certain times of the year, because of this and the pubs and hotels that I supply having a just aversion to the Caracas being washed, all rabbits are skinned first, then paunched. I do not use the pelts so skin in a way that drastically reduces the fur contamination.
Grab rabbit by the fir in the middle of the back " much easier when warm still", bit like grabbing a dog by the scruff! Then pass your blade through this scruff with the sharp edge facing upwards, ie away from the saddle and cut upwards, now stick your fingers in with hands facing away from each other, then just pull apart until each half is stripped off to the bottom joint of the legs and base of the skull, then just break joints and slip the blade through them and nip off the scutt.
The only time this is not quick and easy is when it's a geriatric old buck, then you need your weetabix !
All my rabbits are done this way, it takes about 20-30 seconds per rabbit if they're warm,ish.
You should find this not only cleaner but also infinitely easier and quicker than faffingabout with skinning out legs iindividualy etc, but no good if you want to keep the pelt intact.
I've always read you should empty the bladder first(that's the rabbits!) by just pressing and smoothing down on the front of the animal.
Good point Paul! That's the downside of skinning the rabbit whilst warm, you thumb it and you get some out but not always all, so care has to be taken when splitting the pelvis when extracting the poo pipe, not to pierce the pee pipe.Big Grin
Pages: 1 2