Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Doomsday Preppers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The show is full of obese American paranoid preppers but do you think it represents us preppers accurately?

Also has anyone done this?-- http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/ch...-are-you1/
don't know, I don't watch it....too American!
They make us look crazy.
TV Producers will go out and look for the most extreme versions and parade them around, branding them as the norm to get ratings. the more unusual the more people are gonna view it.
TV productions are about ratings NOT making preppers look cool!
I watch it every now and again, I may find a good tip on there. My score was 0ne-two months which is nearly what i said on the other thread.
I watched it once. The episode I saw featured some guy with "spider-holes" all over his property. I figured his most needed prep was a good psychiatrist.
I watch it cos I need a good laugh now and again!!
I watch it, because as a preper, I am willing to learn as much as possible, and ideas can come from the most unlikely sources,.. the program is very American, very over the top with a lot of store put into weapons and defense, and very little on doing anything to maintain any sort of survival after an event ,.......... but every now and then an idea pops up that I have not thought about, so for that reason alone, I watch it
[/align]

(17 May 2013, 00:57)Timelord Wrote: [ -> ][/align]

As well as having a good laugh watching it - preferably with friends..- I do see some useful info on there. Also, the psychology of the preppers is interesting to cross reference and it also gives us an insight into different folks reactions to stress situations. A theme which I think may reverberate throughout prepping, is that many of the participants seriously overestimate their ability to carry out tasks under adverse conditions and they often also seriously underestimate the chaotic nature of events that could unfold, or just that their pre supposed plan to cope with a particular scenario may need constant adaptation to fast changing events. There is some good info in amongst the producers "take on it".
Another thing I raise my eyebrows at is that the Producers must ask the less savvy preppers to get all their end of the world bug out gear on and to get the whole family to hold their favourite gun while posing for the camera - and they fall for it regular. How the producers must be happy with their extreme visuals and TV company cheques. It does amaze me how some of these preppers sacrifice their security on camera in exchange for that little bit of stardom. maybe they think they are "just spreadin the word".
A big positive aspect of it (?????) is that these shows are bringing "prepping" more into the mainstream and hence the concepts nationally. Good or bad.. Who knows? TL
Who are we to mock guys we prep they do it different to us that's all yeah a few over the top but how over the top will it be when tshtf ??
They might be the ones with the smile on there faces
Just my take on it

Bd
Pages: 1 2 3 4