Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Fun but interesting the ultimate zombie survival gun.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Fun but interesting the ultimate zombie survival gun.
NR
Max Brooks the author of the Zombie Survival Guide and WW Z turned up on this week’s editions of “Sons of Guns” the Discovery channel’s show about a Florida based custom gunsmith.
Max challenged the gun shop to produce the ultimate Zombie Survival Gun for Civilians (note the civilian bit) The gun shop crew split into two teams, one chose to go the route of converting an AR15 5.56mm into a select fire M16 with Bayonet, drum magazine and a 37 MM grenade launcher (which civvies would REALLY have access to a 37 mm grenade supply?)
The other team who clearly had less of the gung ho attitude chose to go with the .22 long rifle rimfire cartridge route, they took what I think was a Ruger 10/22 and had a custom polymer bull pup stock made for it, they made a pig sticker spike bayonet for it and fitted it with reflex type optics and backup iron sights on an integral P rail.
Anyhoo overall Max chose the .22 Bullpup over the full bore M16 Why?, Ammo capacity was one consideration, Max said the average civvy in his scenarios could only use one side pouch on a rucksack for carrying ammo, They could only just squeeze in 100 rounds of 5.56 but they easily accommodated over 280 rounds of 22LR A major plus for head shooting Zombies .
Then came accuracy both weapons easily put five head shots into five zombie target heads, but Max noted that the 22 LR was easier to fire and control and the gun in its lightweight very compact bull pup format was much easier to EDC carry compared to the big bulky M16 clone.
The Grenade Launcher got the M16 team a few extra points but again Max pointed out that the weapon was supposed to be used by inexperienced civilians not skills soldiers.
Overall Max went for the higher capacity ammo storage, the easy smooth low recoil accuracy of the 22 bullpup, plus low maintenance levels and its easy lightweight EDC carry capability, so in summary the world’s leading author on civvies surviving zombies chose the 22LR round as it did the job just as well as the M16 but did it cheaper, it was lighter and the survivor could carry far more ammo.
The bit this fascinating chap kept raising time after time was the point that most preppers and survivalists are CIVILIANS not soldiers and all prepping/ planning and kit should be developed with that point foremost in mind. I support that belief and think that all to often prepping becomes focused solely on single fit young men often with military experience, but in the real world preppers tend to be family men and women with kids, dogs, mortgages, grand parents and obligations to fulfill.
Fun and food for thought.
(17 May 2013, 08:59)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Fun but interesting the ultimate zombie survival gun.
NR
Max Brooks the author of the Zombie Survival Guide and WW Z turned up on this week’s editions of “Sons of Guns” the Discovery channel’s show about a Florida based custom gunsmith.
Max challenged the gun shop to produce the ultimate Zombie Survival Gun for Civilians (note the civilian bit) The gun shop crew split into two teams, one chose to go the route of converting an AR15 5.56mm into a select fire M16 with Bayonet, drum magazine and a 37 MM grenade launcher (which civvies would REALLY have access to a 37 mm grenade supply?)
The other team who clearly had less of the gung ho attitude chose to go with the .22 long rifle rimfire cartridge route, they took what I think was a Ruger 10/22 and had a custom polymer bull pup stock made for it, they made a pig sticker spike bayonet for it and fitted it with reflex type optics and backup iron sights on an integral P rail.
Anyhoo overall Max chose the .22 Bullpup over the full bore M16 Why?, Ammo capacity was one consideration, Max said the average civvy in his scenarios could only use one side pouch on a rucksack for carrying ammo, They could only just squeeze in 100 rounds of 5.56 but they easily accommodated over 280 rounds of 22LR A major plus for head shooting Zombies .
Then came accuracy both weapons easily put five head shots into five zombie target heads, but Max noted that the 22 LR was easier to fire and control and the gun in its lightweight very compact bull pup format was much easier to EDC carry compared to the big bulky M16 clone.
The Grenade Launcher got the M16 team a few extra points but again Max pointed out that the weapon was supposed to be used by inexperienced civilians not skills soldiers.
Overall Max went for the higher capacity ammo storage, the easy smooth low recoil accuracy of the 22 bullpup, plus low maintenance levels and its easy lightweight EDC carry capability, so in summary the world’s leading author on civvies surviving zombies chose the 22LR round as it did the job just as well as the M16 but did it cheaper, it was lighter and the survivor could carry far more ammo.
The bit this fascinating chap kept raising time after time was the point that most preppers and survivalists are CIVILIANS not soldiers and all prepping/ planning and kit should be developed with that point foremost in mind. I support that belief and think that all to often prepping becomes focused solely on single fit young men often with military experience, but in the real world preppers tend to be family men and women with kids, dogs, mortgages, grand parents and obligations to fulfill.

so would the 22 lr would kill some one zombie with a head shot from how far away if you can hit the zombie
(17 May 2013, 09:09)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(17 May 2013, 08:59)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Fun but interesting the ultimate zombie survival gun.
NR

so would the 22 lr would kill some one zombie with a head shot from how far away if you can hit the zombie

I think the piint is most ordinary folks are not or ever likely to be practised marksmen so I'm guessing he is implying that ranges up to 100 yards would be the norm for Joe Q Public, We as preppers I think would double tap anyway at any Zombies Smile
No you've all got it wrongTongue guns run out of ammoBig Grin
15C handmade fitted suit of Armour. Longsword, War Hammer and other assorted butchery implements, I'd like to see a zombie bite through tempered steelBig Grin. Half a dozen of you!!! you would be knee deep in Arseholes and Eyeballs, DEEP JOYBig Grin
You have to get Medieval on their arse.

I forgot to mention the protruding spikes on your Gauntlets, and the spiked Sabatons for dissembowelling with a kick, stylishSmile
Have you een the price of a new suit of armour and all the accessories lately ? Smile you can buy a million rounds of 22 for the cost of a new outfit, I sent my last one to the cleaners and it shrunk in the wash Smile
I know but what an excuseSmile for you to drool over

http://www.bestarmour.com/
I would rather dress up as a Roundhead officer, Zombies could never chew their way through those leather buff jerkins or thigh high boots Smile and it looks sexier than armour Smile
(17 May 2013, 11:40)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]No you've all got it wrongTongue guns run out of ammoBig Grin
15C handmade fitted suit of Armour. Longsword, War Hammer and other assorted butchery implements, I'd like to see a zombie bite through tempered steelBig Grin. Half a dozen of you!!! you would be knee deep in Arseholes and Eyeballs, DEEP JOYBig Grin
You have to get Medieval on their arse.

I forgot to mention the protruding spikes on your Gauntlets, and the spiked Sabatons for dissembowelling with a kick, stylishSmile

you are very odd TH look forward to are meet pal Big Grin
yeah won't be long now, looking forward to a bit of fishing. and I do believe I saw some Ducks last timeAngel Will PM you and let ya know when I'm down.
Hmmmm,depends on the zombie.The classic romero slow lumbering zombie the .22 would be perfect. Especially in the Uk as we can supress our guns with no extra legislation.A .22 will pierce the human skull if we keep the distance reasonable,and ammo is extremely cheap and light to carry.A supressed Ruger 10/22 makes a lot of sense.It also doubles as probably the best game rifle for the Uk.

If we're talking the 28 days later fast moving phsycotic infected person (new strain of rabies maybe) then i'm all for the 12 gauge.Without doubt the most stopping power commonly available to us.It's a one shot one kill round (depending on what load you're using of course),the ammunition is bulky and you can't carry more than 100 comfortably,but it's the most common ammunition in the Uk,so resupply would be at least feasible. Hit a violent crazed attacker with an upper body shot of no.4 bb or slug and it will create massive bodily trauma.

Swords, I'm an avid collector and user of European swords,it's by no means ideal,especially the longsword.Its primarily a duelling weapon,not designed for constantly cleaving through the bone of the human skull (as no sword is) though it is in my opinion the epitome of sword design a sturdy hatchet/kukri/crowbar would be better suited,it can double as a tool (which a sword can't as it's a fine weapon but a very poor tool)
I really spend too much time researching this stuffBlush
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5