Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Arm protection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I did see something about this on a thread but can't find it now I think it got removed.

Wot I have found to be a good way of protecting your arms against knife slashes is wrapping your forearms in duck tape.

I have also heard of people strapping half drain pipes to their forearm and when they are attacked with blades or axes etc they use their protected forearms to deflect the blows not stop them.
Piece of plastic roof guttering down your sleeve or a knife and slash proof jacket.
That was me in the thread about the interview on Woolwich.

Basically, my idea is a 4 layered system.

Kevlar top
Metal tubes (not to wrap around the arm, more like many sub 1cm thick tubes)
Ballistic style plastic to wrap around the arm
Kevlar base, touching the skin.

With that, I think it should be possible to take most impacts, get a reasonable dispersion of energy, while also being able to stop blades from cutting you.
Try to keep your distance in confrontations (easier said than done) if you suspect there going to attack or they lower there hands/ go for pockets, hit them first,hit them hard, keep on hitting them till there on the floor. If your going to fight someone with a knife or try to disarm them unless your very lucky your going to get cut.

Sythe good luck with that project, steampunks all the fashion so dont worry about looking like the bionic man
(23 May 2013, 10:44)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Try to keep your distance in confrontations (easier said than done) if you suspect there going to attack or they lower there hands/ go for pockets, hit them first,hit them hard, keep on hitting them till there on the floor. If your going to fight someone with a knife or try to disarm them unless your very lucky your going to get cut.

Best defence is to just turn tail and run! That's my preferred course of action. You can't punch me if I'm 50 meters away!

Just in case, I like the idea of a bit of protection. If someone goes for you, and you're cornered, you HAVE TO FIGHT BACK!!! IF YOU DO NOT FIGHT, YOU CANNOT WIN!!!!

As for the Steampunks style, I'm only thinking it as something under hoodies or tops with long baggy sleeves. Not really a tshirt weather wear kind of item.
What?? Strapping metal bars to your arms and putting things down your sleeves?
This is something people are actually considering? You're going to sit in a pub somewhere, or go out in public kitted out with that? You may as well just walk about in full riot gear.

The bloke who got fucked up yesterday was RUN OVER FIRST, which is probably why he wasn't able to defend himself.

If you're that concerned about your personal safety then carry a walking stick. Damn site more useful in general, give you more range in a fight and can be used for offence, rather than purely defence. You also won't get asked to leave a public house for having metal pipes and shit sellotaped to your limbs.
(23 May 2013, 11:53)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]What?? Strapping metal bars to your arms and putting things down your sleeves?
This is something people are actually considering? You're going to sit in a pub somewhere, or go out in public kitted out with that? You may as well just walk about in full riot gear.

No one specified the scenario, when I worked in site security the local gypos often used to set a dog on my guards so they took to padding their sleeves or using pieces of guttering down the sleeve for the dog to chew on whilst the guard battered it with something. Stop being judgemental.
(23 May 2013, 12:02)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Stop being judgemental.

And sensible evidently.
(23 May 2013, 12:04)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(23 May 2013, 12:02)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Stop being judgemental.

And sensible evidently.

I'd like to see you fend off a car with a walking stick !!!
I like beardys idea, especialy if the walking stick has a sword attatched to the handle
Pages: 1 2 3 4