Survival UK Forums

Full Version: free heat and hot water for 20 yrs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
in my home i have a cast iron fire with a back boiler this also heats 8 radiators.
When i first moved in i burnt coal even then this cost a lot so i soon started looking around for free wood to burn.
it did not take long to spot good places to look skips if they are having a new kitchen fitted the old one will burn great plus most people are more than happy for you to take it [more room in skip average cost med size £100].
also try kitchen fitters yards they often have a skip in the back and are more than happy for you to ask.
many factorys also have left over wood from all sorts of stuff , just look and always ask , they all have to pay to have it removed.
so why not give it a go iv been doing this for 20 yrs now the more you do it the eazyer it gets .

good luck happy hunting.....
we have been skip diving for the last 13 years, its surprising what you find.
We also have a multi-fueled stove that heats our hot water and 8 radiators, we are able to go to the Forestry Commission and take tree logs under 8 feet long, [ multi thicknesses ]

We do buy coat to, but we have already started buying now for next winter, a little at a time, and the cost is not noticed

Of course that's meant to say, ` we do buy COAL`
if youe got an existing good system (say a combi cindenser type) and you want to add a solid fuel to it as a shtf back up you may want to consider one of these.....

http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/neutralizer.html

they have multiple input and even allow wet solar to be hooked upCool

Alterego
where I work, we have loads of "useless" wood, thrown in the skip. I wish someone would take it cause as Sunna mentioned, we have to pay for a company to haul it away.
not just for burning either, we've made shelving, garden borders, etc using scrap wood.
There is a sawmill near me, the lads there sell potato crates full of softwood offcuts at £45 each on Saturday mornings. No shortage of takers. Personally I'd consider it to make kindling from, not as a main burn.
(26 June 2013, 20:55)Steve Wrote: [ -> ]There is a sawmill near me, the lads there sell potato crates full of softwood offcuts at £45 each on Saturday mornings. No shortage of takers. Personally I'd consider it to make kindling from, not as a main burn.

yes steve its everywhere ,all you have to do is look i get very upset when i visit my local tip theirs one set aside for wood and they wont let me take it tons of it going to land fill .
why not let people[offenders]chop/smash it up theirs plenty of old folk near me paying loads for logs/coal its just going to waste. why ??