Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Missing Petrol stations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Another point of interest I picked up on my little (curtailed) expedition yesterday is the last time I went galavanting about like that over those same routes in a CB club run over 20 odd years ago there was far more petrol stations and roadside cafes available back then. Today as motorists, bikers or preppers its clear we need to plan a lot more the logistical aspects of bugging in or out and how or were we are going to refuel. Fuel and water logistics need much closer attention than they once did, but to offset this it appears on the surface at least there are more camp sites and caravan parks around that could be used as restovers and resupply points.
Petrol Stations that only do fuel and a small shop don't last these days they go out of business...a lot! not much money is made on a gallon of fuel as we know its mostly tax anyway, we lose more stations in the countryside than on the motorways or major roads...due to numbers or lack of, M ways have a captive audience after all. at one time you could go into a café/"greasy spoon" anywhere but these days its mostly Little Chef type places. there are lots of "picnic areas" you could use to rest up. however as I travel mostly on the back roads there are plenty of places for me to park up without other people about.
(28 May 2013, 10:47)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Another point of interest I picked up on my little (curtailed) expedition yesterday is the last time I went galavanting about like that over those same routes in a CB club run over 20 odd years ago there was far more petrol stations and roadside cafes available back then. Today as motorists, bikers or preppers its clear we need to plan a lot more the logistical aspects of bugging in or out and how or were we are going to refuel. Fuel and water logistics need much closer attention than they once did, but to offset this it appears on the surface at least there are more camp sites and caravan parks around that could be used as restovers and resupply points.

Yep mate am in agreement here hence I am doubling the amount of diesel in store, and upping the amount of fuel water food and ability to charge my phone etc
I am sure it is also the case that many cars are now doing twice the mileage as they once did, add that to whats been said already and being in the Petrol station business is not easy these days

As NR says its a case of adding this fact into your plans, we have very few stations around here, so we have to plan how we use our cars/mowers/quads/ on a daily basis
I wouldn't rely on finding fuel during a bug-out. Many of the scenarios likely to lead to SHTF will also compromise ability to pick up fuel (oil shock, economic collapse, war, grid failure, etc). I always keep the fuel tank full.

When we lived in the South East but had the place in Scotland, it was our intended bug-out location. A tall order, I know, to try to bug out 600 miles, but that was our plan. I always had 60 litres of diesel in three jerries, ready to be loaded into the car at a moment's notice, which, together with the full tank, would have been enough to get us up here with several diversions and back-tracks.

Glad we're up here now and don't have to worry about that sort of journey, but I still keep the tank full.
(28 May 2013, 20:48)Tarrel Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't rely on finding fuel during a bug-out. Many of the scenarios likely to lead to SHTF will also compromise ability to pick up fuel (oil shock, economic collapse, war, grid failure, etc).

this is so true, any SHTF event will see the sheeple empty the filling stations within 24 hours, as soon as my tank hits HALF I fill it up again, I never let it go below that level .
One sub issue that has caused me to raise an eyebrow is the fact that though the economy of many has improved somewhat, the manufacturers have taken advantage of this and reduced the size of fuel tanks on many cars. Mrs NR's Mitsubishi pinin only does 300 miles on a full tank because its tiny, The Wagon R tank is much smaller as is the tanks on many modern compact and sub compact vehicles.
fuel tank on my Berlingo is 60 litres, i'm not sure what the fuel consumption on a 1400cc is.
Some cars only have half of that now, 32 litres is not uncommon. If I got another van I would probably get an Iveco Daily cos its reasonably easy to fit a second tank.
You can get "expedition" fuel tanks for some vehicles. I found one for a Hilux Surf that gave an extra 120 litres, so you'd have 180 in total. BUT, not only was it expensive, they come from Australia, so the postage was more than the thing itself. And it'd be around £250 to fill it up.

But it's not just installing the tank that's an issue. You then have to change the springs as you've completely redistributed the weight (on the Surf anyway) so there are quite a few additional costs involved just in parts, let alone labour (unless you're good with cars).

Then you have the decreased fuel consumption as you're dragging around 3 times the amount of fuel that was originally intended, as well as all your gear.

Anyone know of any 4x4s that come with a fuel tank > 60 litres, as standard?
Pages: 1 2 3 4