Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Wild camping areas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ive always wanted to go wild camping and now ive started prepping it seams the perfect time to go and test my new found skills etc, ive no idea where to go, where im aloud to do this etc, i live in hertfordshire so somewhere kind of local would be great, any advice is really welcome Smile
I know that Scottish laws are different to the laws in England, in as much as there are no trespass laws in Scotland, but I would guess that most farmers would be happy for you to do a bit of camping if you were to ask, especially if it was in woodland.

Other than that you could pretend that the shtf and pick your spot and practice keeping quiet,..Smile

Having said all that, a female on her own has to be careful these day,.. just bear that in mind
(2 June 2013, 21:47)Angelius Wrote: [ -> ]Ive always wanted to go wild camping and now ive started prepping it seams the perfect time to go and test my new found skills etc, ive no idea where to go, where im aloud to do this etc, i live in hertfordshire so somewhere kind of local would be great, any advice is really welcome Smile

A publisher by the name of "lonely Planet" do pocket sized guide books on walking routes in Scotland England and Wales and magazines like The Great Outdoors (TGO), and Trail could be a good idea, or just have a good look at a decent map of the UK and Highlands and Islands for pointers then the internet, on any areas in detail could be a plan !
You could go the the camping site in Neath, South Wales. Camp in the woods by a river and explore the quarry. That is where we went for the camping weekend. great place. It's about an hour and a half from you I would guess.
I do most of my wild camps in the lakes or further north so im afraid I cant help.
most folk don't share their locations unfortunately Sad
how would i find out who owns bits of woodland and go about getting hold of them to ask?

and its ok im a big guy so i should be ok
It's actually legal to wildcamp on Dartmoor. Many people wildcamp in the Lake District or high pennines. Although strictly speaking you need the land-owner's permission, there's a generally accepted rule that, if you're above the highest dry stone wall, you're OK. (I.e. further into the hills than the last field).

Scotland is totally different. The Land Reform Act makes it legal to wildcamp pretty much anywhere, although the spirit of the act is for both visitors and landowners to act reasonably.

In all cases of wild camping, the general guidance is to arrive late, leave early and leave no trace. Fires in particular are frowned upon, especially in Scotland, where a careless fire can ignite peat which will continue burning under the ground. Gas or meths stoves are the way to go.

It's an awesome experience. Have fun with it!
(2 June 2013, 23:03)Angelius Wrote: [ -> ]how would i find out who owns bits of woodland and go about getting hold of them to ask?

and its ok im a big guy so i should be ok

Its easy up here, there is a web site called `who owns Scotland` so we can easily find out,.. maybe there is a similar site down south

...other than that, if you know the name of the woodland, ask in Google,.. or simply ask the nearest farm to it,...it might belong to the forestry Commission, their web site would help you there I would think
(2 June 2013, 23:22)Tarrel Wrote: [ -> ]It's actually legal to wildcamp on Dartmoor. Many people wildcamp in the Lake District or high pennines.

wild camping is NOT legal on Dartmoor, its just NOT policed, NO open fires are allowed due to the gorse, if you keep a low profile you generally get ignored by the rangers.that has been my experience anyway.
try camping where you should not and gain experence bugging out with your head down .
wot s the worst that can happen [get orf my land ] asked to leave
Pages: 1 2