Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Cleaning camel back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a new camel back never used one before. But it says to clean it after every use with a mild detergent?

I may be been blond here but wouldn't it be better to just rinse it out a few time after using it and again just before using it again? Instead of using a detergent on it?
YES folks in the tropics often need to be a bit more dilegent, but rinsing with clean chlorinated tap water would be what I do.

BTW some folks used Milton sterlisers or campervan water system sterilisers be careful cos these can make the bladder of the bag become brittle.
This is the fun with manufacturer instructions. I leave mine (GHB) full for 3-4 months at a time. Steady supply of sterile water, no problems....ever.

The cleaning instructions are helpful, if you are using it like most people do though.

If you leave a little air in the system, any moisture can join with bacteria in the air and produce fungus....very slow growing fungus!!!

A little trick, if you get any minging stuff growing, once you clean it out with detergent, add a little bit of toothpaste to a full bladder of water. Leave it over night, then pour it all out. Once you've done this, you need to refill it, swill it, and pour it out again. Then use as normal. The water has a minty (super refreshing) taste after that!!! Much better than the minging mold taste!!!
I’ve got a few camel back bladders and only occasionally clean them out
I tend to keep the bladder and feed tube in the freezer which seems to keep the beasties from growing.