Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Knife wearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Knife wearing

Well to begin with we all know that no British prepper would ever wear or carry an illegal knife in a public place in the UK, all preppers only ever tout a sub 75 mm none locking blade and only in places where its carrying can be legally justified by the most paranoid, knee jerk reactionary hysteria driven, sad individual born into our fear driven society.

So when we are out and about in any other place on earth where common sense has not been eradicated by political correctness gone mad, what knife carry options are available to us for different the different roles we are involved in.

Some people such as Paramedics, Mountaineers and Tree surgeons will wear their knife hung from their cargo vests or climbing harnesses often by a carabineer, clip or lanyard. Also many serving soldiers in the 80s and 90s wore issue clasp knives on lanyards secured around their shoulders.

Many boaters, sailors, RNLI crew will wear a knife on their inflatable vests these blades are usually blunt tipped and brightly coloured and often buoyant as well.

Fishermen and anglers alike be they on the river bank or in the north Atlantic will have razor sharp filleting knifes often mounted on a cord around their necks or fastened to their Sou-westers diagonally across their chests.

Expeditioneers , hikers, back packers, explorers, wilderness campers and hunters will often have a camp knife attacked to their belts or fastened to their rucksacks.

Butchers, Fish mongers, Electricians and Tradesmen like vehicle mechanics, boat yard workers, etc all often have a decent blade in their tool boxes or at their work stations, and of course many a farmer , game keeper, forester, slaughter-men etc will have a piece of cutlery to do their jobs efficiently.

Naturally if the politically correct, left wing loons that run the UK and who delegate their authority to the police had their way none of the above trades would be allowed anything sharp enough to hurt themselves and it would only be able to be used after a full written risk assessment was done in advance.

This brings us to preppers and survivalists who by pure coincidence are very often those very same skilled people who use a knife for their jobs. We have different kit, different priorities and different roles for our cutting tools (knives) Note I use the word TOOL not WEAPON because in 99.999999999% of the time a preppers knife is used simply as a tool and the final 00000000.1 is in a defensive role. Very often even that defensive role is fending off things like dog attack, wild animal attack, or displayed as a DETERANT to ward off a potential assault against your own persons.

Indeed reports gleened from the media over the years of crimes of violence where people have been cut usually show images of seized screw drivers, tin openers, pry bars, kitchen cutlery, bread knives, craft knives, modeling knives, even metal bodied pens, broken bottles, pieces of glass shards, and gardening tools!!! (I Wonder when the “Ban it” mob will get round to those?)

So it comes down to choice of kit, roles its intended for, the type of clothing you are wearing and the environment you are operating in. For example as for my EDC use my little Byrd Tern folder lives clipped to the edge of the pocket on my Craghopper Kiwi Cargos, but when I was soldiering my utility knife was either on a lanyard or clipped to the inside of my Danner Arcadia combat boot.

Often if I need to carry something heavier for camp site work I will carry say a Cold Steel Ultimate hunter but I will wear it in a pouch on my belt, under my jacket and out of sight.

Years ago before the political campaign against people being able to defend themselves became so hysterical and I had to visit London which was still a crime infested slum in the 1980s. If I needed to wear a suit I would often carry a small fixed bladed knife like my now long lost A G Russell Sting mounted horizontally on my belt in the small of my back. My associated chose to wear his on a shoulder holster of all things !!! (Never my thing shoulder holsters cos you couldn’t take your jacket off without showing your kit.

So consider where ever you carry your EDC sub 3 inch non locking folder so that you can get at it easily without causing alarm to nervous sheeple, but in a place where you cannot easily lose it from, and a spot that is comfortable. I once knew a chap who EDCed this pouch morning noon and night with his knife, multi tool, flashlight, spare batteries etcetera all on his hip, he was forever correcting his dress and pulling his pants up.

Be careful, be considerate, be legal, be low profile, but above all else BE PREPARED. Sometimes it is better and wiser to avoid traveling to a location than to go without your EDC tools.

FYI a guy in Los Angeles was savagely stabbed in the eye with a piece of uncooked spaghetti, I have no doubt a campaign for uncooked spaghetti to be banned in the UK before a massacre occurs to feature in the Daily Mirror any day now.
I agree its not worth breaking the law and drawing attention to yourself,..so I only carry a legal folding blade,..and that knife it carried in its own leather pouch.

I do however carry a fixed blade when I camp, and sometimes when I go into the hills for a long walk with the dogs,..often more than 6 or 7 hours.

There is one other time when a fixed blade can be carried in public, into any store/shop or public place,..with the exception of airports [ and flights ] and ports [ when sailing ]............ a Skean Dubh worn in the top of the sock when wearing a Kilt
NR, check out the Gerber Bear Grylls Lockback Pocket Folding Knife. It seems to be about the best I've found. My other knife is a large fixed-blade Kershaw...

Do remember, however, that here in Texas anyway, it's considered very poor manners to only bring a knife to a gunfight! Big Grin
(9 June 2013, 00:10)Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]Do remember, however, that here in Texas anyway, it's considered very poor manners to only bring a knife to a gunfight! Big Grin

Unless you are James Coburn or Colonel Jim Bowie Smile
At the moment I use a true utility knife
http://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Utility-Kni...lity+knife
So far it's the only one that I feel comfortable for EDC small enough not to be a 'weapon' but big enough and shape enough to be an excellent tool to use. I also have the Swiss tech 'key' that I have on a key ring mixed in with my house keys. I have been stopped twice by the police 'randomly' (yeah right!) and they haven't even noticed that tool. I did carry one of those survival credit card tools it was excellent but was too bulky for my taste.

For the Swiss tech 'key'
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swiss-Tech-Utili...ue+utility
I carry a lock knife in a belt pouch....but because of the way I dress, no one can see it!

and unlike inner city FERAL children I don't go waving it in peoples faces, its a TOOL and nothing more.
I carry this:
http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog...ts_id/7173
I carry it every day, to college, at home, wherever, along with my other pocket EDC items. I think I've owned it for about 2 years, sharpens nicely, good as the day I bought it. It's UK legal as well, and it looks non-intimidating (I think it says "Cadets/Scouts" more than "stabby stabby.") It's also good for educating ignorant people when they find themselves lacking a blade and I produce one.

Even If I knew i was going to be attacked, I wouldn't want to use it he knife as a weapon. Why? Because I have no idea how to fight defensively with one.

People never seem to notice the concealed fixed blade belt buckle knife anyway LOL Big Grin
I tend to carry either a Svord Peasant or mini Peasant these days,either that or a friction folder i've made.I carried a straight razor for many years (bit of a George G Gilman fan in my youth) and though it is technically legal due to being sub 3 inch and non locking,due to the history in England i'm sure i would get sent straight to Durham nickConfused.

Still i developed a fondness for the design,and a sub 3 inch friction folder is as close as i can get and stay legal.The Svord peasants are great knives(L6 tool steel the same as Gransfors axes) but they do need a bit of edge work as they're dog rough (but cheap).

I also use my faithful Buck 112 in a pouch for work and a scandi fixed blade for the woods.
I wouldn't go near the Bear Grylls knives as A i hate product placement,and B Gerber has basically gone down the toilet as a reputable manufacturer since they decided to make their blades in the far east.
I always wondered about carrying a straight razor. But I take one look at it and I just see a weapon.
(9 June 2013, 20:17)Mooski88 Wrote: [ -> ]I always wondered about carrying a straight razor. But I take one look at it and I just see a weapon.

Everybody does.That's why i don't anymore.it has a lot of disadvantages compared to a modern fixed/lock,or even slip joint knife.I'm very comfortable with the design though,that's why i like simple friction folders.
It has the intimidation factor in spades,but it's by no means ideal.I used to carry wedge blade styles which are less fragile than hollow grind.

Carrying one now though is fraught with danger,they have a terrible reputation (well deserved) as a thug's weapon.Please don't carry one,they're not ideal and will likely land you in all sorts of trouble with the gendarmes.A nice simple friction folder is far less threatening,and also more practical.
Still i'm a big fan of the design and make fixed blade razors for relaxation,lovely classic design,but very specialized and very impractical for edc.
Pages: 1 2