Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Storage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have no storage space ! But I do have a loft I am going to buy or construct a box to store food in the loft the problem of course is that its hot as hell up there in summer so it would need to be insulated
so what can I insulate it with ? would it work ??Huh
I do not see that you could keep the temperature low enough without some form of refrigeration. The issue would be the general ambient heat over time. If the temp level is pretty constantly high for days at a time, then the general ambient temperature surrounding the box would slowly raise its temperature over time. Insulation would help with shorter temperature fluctuations and a bit at any time, but I do not see it being adequate to do the job over a longer and constantly hotter period. The resultant average temperature would still be too high for foodstuffs etc. You could try some low level of refrigeration if that is your only storage option. There is the electrical method and also there are some physical methods of lowering temperature through liquid evaporation. If you could capture rainwater in tank at the roof level and then use this to evaporate through a porous surface on the storage container, like a porous ceramic, then the heat on the roof would actually help to evaporate and run the cooling process. If the heat is from lower floors within the building, then insulation may perform better but again the above problems will still apply to some degree.
Can you not dig a storage compartment into the floor if nowhere else is available. I know this is not usually practical, but it is effective and if space is limited, then it is one solution. Of course landlords are not fond of this type of home modification. :-) regards, TL
how about you pull up the living room carpet in a corner that is used (as in has something over it...sofa/ corner stan/unit etc) then cut/pull the floorboards up store the food down there .! get some steel braces from a diy shop and fasten them backdown. we did a loft conv and you gotta insulate it using this foil backed sheeting on a roll ..to keep it cool in the summer /warm in the winter ....it wasn't a pleasant job ..it was hot as hell ...we were covered in soot/dust /fibreglass insulation..and sweating like gary glitter on a bouncy castle .
(11 June 2013, 23:24)David075 Wrote: [ -> ]I have no storage space ! But I do have a loft I am going to buy or construct a box to store food in the loft the problem of course is that its hot as hell up there in summer so it would need to be insulated
so what can I insulate it with ? would it work ??Huh

I don't think I'd consider using a loft as storage for foodstuffs without being absolutely certain I could control the temperature adequately. For other stores yes but not food.

You of course, know your own situation best but this is what I've been thinking about recently.

I too, have limited space and until we move, as we must in a couple of months, no stockpiling. Then, the situation may be the same or perhaps worse but I have been considering it. I believe I can:

Make the bottom drawer of every dressing table/chest of drawers available by getting rid of unnecessary clutter (the drawers may need to be strengthened and this one may meet some wifely resistance - she is not on-side - yet!),

Utilise the space under bottom drawers of the same furniture,

Use the 'dead' space in the bottom of wardrobes by putting in small cabinets with doors or drawers (shoes can go on top),

Use the lower sections of any alcoves in the same way,

Fill suitcases and put them in their 'usual' places, on top of wardrobes/under beds,

Adapt under-stairs cupboard to serve as a pantry.

I'm quite sure these and many more have been thought of and written about many times over but they are just some of the ways I intend to make the most use of whatever limited space we may have available. I hope it helps...
.....you could use the attic for just dried food, the heat wouldn't make a difference then

other than that, I would insulate with polystyrene inside a wooden contruction
I agree you can only really sensibly use your attack for dry foods as its almost impossible to stabilise a loft enough to be anything but a bedroom.
try under the kitchen units too

even in a tiny kitchen (we know that) there is a good amount of space behing the kickboards and these are normal held on by plastic clips that attach to the units legs and just pull off
Fit 6 or 8 sections of guttering downpipe inside those cavity walls, fill with tins then plaster over (or stick up a picture etc), then you have a built in can rotational storage (drop in at the top, remove from the bottom)

You can get loads in this way, all completely hidden from sight and utilising space that would otherwise be useless.

Bit extreme, but good Smile

I just need to convince the wife to let me make a few holes in the walls, or ship her off for the weekend whilst I "decorate"
(12 June 2013, 09:23)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]I just need to convince the wife to let me make a few holes in the walls, or ship her off for the weekend whilst I "decorate"

You and me both mate.
storing tins in an attic unless its boarded out, you may have to watch out for weight issues.
Pages: 1 2