Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Post TU Comms / Groups and Villages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Assumptions:

Population pretty decimated and most pre TU comms are down.

If youy've got a small village setting and you need to set up new comms,
where would you get things like old telephones/switchboards?
I am not sure if you would be able,.............unless as part of your preps you were to get a few military telephones and the line to go with them, that's easy enough, lay the lines connect the phones, they come with their own winding dialing handle,.. you either connect up every wire if you wanted to talk to all the phones or just the one as the need arises
sorry, but if "the population is decimated" why would you need comms?Huh
Small village scenario you don't need comms, you need runners. Children are good for this. Well trained ones anyway.

People seem to think of comms as electronic forms of communication. You could use flags, flashes from torches (as at least 2 or 3 people are always going to be awake keeping an eye out), runners, smoke, sounds (non-amplified), tins cans and string, combat carrier pigeons etc etc.

I wouldn't worry about setting up field phones just yet, not matter how nice those bakerlight cases they come in are. If you can find 'em at a decent price (I can pick up a pair for £30 + VAT and delivery) then I'd certainly go that route. I do want a couple, but trying to think when and where they'd ever get used PSHTF and I don't see a need for them in my preps. Although I could run the line to the pub I suppose?
(12 June 2013, 11:05)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Small village scenario you don't need comms, you need runners. Children are good for this. Well trained ones anyway.

People seem to think of comms as electronic forms of communication. You could use flags, flashes from torches (as at least 2 or 3 people are always going to be awake keeping an eye out), runners, smoke, sounds (non-amplified), tins cans and string, combat carrier pigeons etc etc.

I was going to say, jump on that horse you acquired post shtf or get on your bicycle, and go and bang on the door of the person you want to speak to! nearest village is 4 miles from here but there are hamlets closer than that.
decimated is an old term where they killed every tenth person in the rival army after they surrended as a punishment. So still plenty left.

For village comms I'd be looking at having CB radios for all your allies so you can get a quick reaction. For others turning up and making yourself known is next best.
Or find any big older telephone exchange, and rummage around the basement, they all have ancient junk that can be used to hard wire a basic exchange, that or hit up an old victorian era mill, that has not yet been rebuilt. they will have the old hardwire exchange hardware, as it costs to much to upgrade or remove it.
The one constant thing in every forum is that everybody needs to get technology back up and running, just like it was.
Why, the constant reliving the same old same old again and again.
Cant figure it out myself.
(12 June 2013, 14:45)Prepper1 Wrote: [ -> ]The one constant thing in every forum is that everybody needs to get technology back up and running, just like it was.
Why, the constant reliving the same old same old again and again.
Cant figure it out myself.

no everyone brother, not me! technology you can keep it! I don't even want electricity!Big GrinBig Grin
Because we don't want our kids to die before the are 40 and want them to have a good life.

Not everyone is happy living a solitary life.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6