Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Post Apocalyptica
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I actually like poat apocalyptic art if its well researched and done tatefully, it allows me to analise possible scenarios and consider more options as to how I would need to adapt. There are some great images often very well thought out on forums like Deviant art and there is this article in todays Daily Mail.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...demic.html

For me as an individual being able to actually visualise the types of environment we could face within only 3 years of a societal collapse.
( A university took a stretch of B road that had been closed and replaced by a new road 100 yards away, they took time lapse photography eah week of the road and in places creeping grass and other flora completely covered the road surface in only 3 years) So imagine the extra burdon placed on you by missing manholes, drain covers, storm drain grates that are missing or removed ad a thin coat of grass covers it just waiting for your foot or front wheel to find it. One point I had completely missed but was filled in by studying PA art was falling debris. Yes I had picked up on the fact that many glazing panels are now secured only with some sort of flexible adhesive so they are more likely to fall if not fully maintained. But I completely missed roof slates and tiles lifted by frost or ice because no one had cleared the gutters and the water backed up in a capilary action style breaking free the tiles. This detail from a fictional picture is what prompted me to get a few caving / rock climbing hats and cycle helmets to protect my bonce of I have to go scavenging in a city.
Food for thought.

So just as post apocalyptic fiction novels can help you mentally prepare, I believe well thoght out PA art can equally help, just as seen in the TVs After Man.
I don't think it will take as long as 3 years, i'd say more like 2 normal UK winters will do the trick..say about 18months....no one to clear out the road gutters, mend the roads, remove fallen trees and the like, pretty soon without human intervention both the countryside and cities will revert to mother nature, first weeds, then scrub then trees, eventually forests will re emerge.
Another winter like the last one and the potholes will become mantraps!
(12 June 2013, 20:12)MaryN Wrote: [ -> ]Another winter like the last one and the potholes will become mantraps!

In many parts of the Northern hemisphere many organisations have to go around doing things like knocking huge sodding great icicles off power lines and bridges and from the gutters of sky scrapers.

Many structures have to be heated up by built in deicing kit most winters to prevent serious structural damage.

Up here if it were not for snow ploughs many roads with be closed for up to 4 months in a bad year.

some warmer southern counties require almost constant attention from highways teams to stop plants from covering roads such as country lanes in one season, tree canopies that can reach over roads in one summer.

Mother nature is just waiting to stick it to the unwary after TSHTF.
(12 June 2013, 20:12)MaryN Wrote: [ -> ]Another winter like the last one and the potholes will become mantraps!

They already are in some places up here!
I love these photos. Always find walking on wasteland interesting. Its amazing how nature bounces back