Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Scavenging, foraging, looting.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Scavenging, foraging, looting.
We are talking post SHTF here, probably from 6 months to a year, may be more, after the event. Probably not many people around.
So what is scavenging, what is foraging and what is looting. When do these, if at all, change their meaning? Do or are any of them acceptable in the above situation or do they become acceptable?

To help below are what the dictionary says.
Forage
1. Food for domestic animals; fodder.
2. The act of looking or searching for food or provisions.
3. To wander in search of food or provisions.
4. To conduct a search; rummage.
Looting
1. Valuables pillaged in time of war; spoils.
2. Stolen goods.
Scavenge
1. To search through for salvageable material
2. To collect and remove refuse from
3. To collect (salvageable material) by searching.
4. To search through refuse for useful material.

So you decide it is time to venture out, may be your stocks are getting a little low, how do you decide what is what.
When, if ever is it OK to take what is not yours, how do you decide that no one is around or alive now who owns an item and that it OK for you to take that item.
One last question, your are desperate, may be on the verge of starvation, would it be right, in the situation above, to steal from another.
(12 June 2013, 12:06)John Wrote: [ -> ]When, if ever is it OK to take what is not yours, how do you decide that no one is around or alive now who owns an item and that it OK for you to take that item.
One last question, your are desperate, may be on the verge of starvation, would it be right, in the situation above, to steal from another.

Yup, just take whatever you fancy. You open the post saying probably not many people about. If it's not nailed down I'm having it. Actually, even if it is nailed down I'm still taking it. Because I want or need it now, or may do in the future.

Basically all bets are off PSHTF. I don't care who owns it, if they're not there guarding it then I'll have it. Now that doesn't mean I shall be reckless (before the worry-worts start with "You'll get shot in the face" or other such crap) but if it's viable to take then I shall.

Shit, some of us don't worry about the laws now, why would we care after the event?
yeah, ditto, same as what BM said!Big Grin if its lying about, no obvious owner, i'm having it! obvious owner.with guns.i'll leg it orf the other way.
"It's not looting if you leave a note"
(12 June 2013, 12:33)Carnebwen Wrote: [ -> ]"It's not looting if you leave a note"

just don't put your name and address on it!!Tongue
(12 June 2013, 12:38)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(12 June 2013, 12:33)Carnebwen Wrote: [ -> ]"It's not looting if you leave a note"

Leave Scythes details behind instead Tongue Cool
(12 June 2013, 12:42)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(12 June 2013, 12:38)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]

Leave Scythes details behind instead Tongue Cool
yeah, he lives 50 miles up the road, that'll give them something to do!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Dear Nat West, I've decided to take this £1m as none of the notes have anyones name on it.

Please don't send the police after me.

After an event. We need to be very careful what and how we acquire things. Not everyone will just shrug it off with a smile.
don't think we just run in, grab the stuff and leg it out again! check all around first, if you were armed in hiding where would you be? check that area first, only when your sure its safe do you proceed, if at all unsure leave and come back another day.
(12 June 2013, 12:57)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]don't think we just run in, grab the stuff and leg it out again! check all around first, if you were armed in hiding where would you be? check that area first, only when your sure its safe do you proceed, if at all unsure leave and come back another day.

Aye. Common sense isn't it? Huh

Tell you what BP, I'll keep look out and you can run in an grab the loot Big Grin
Pages: 1 2