Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Solar phone charger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have tried a couple of solar phone chargers for an I phone and they haven't been very good. Has anyone got one that is worth buying? I don't mind paying extra for this item. I like to have my phone fully charged at all time and if the SHTF and have to bug out I have loads of information and survival texts on my phone. Not to mention the torch, compass and extra little apps and games Wink don't wanna get to bored surviving. I currently have an I phone 4s and looking for a solar panel charger or other such items it can use to charge my phone.
I think the solar ones only charge upto 60%battery
how about.....
one of these [Image: $T2eC16RHJHEE9ny2q880BQgUZWU7kg~~60_35.JPG]

charging a 8 pack of joined aa rechargeables giving you a 12 volt battery pack.
Then attached to said battery pack a car cigarette lighter socket and then you buy the in car charger for your phone.[Image: $T2eC16Z,!zEE9s3!YlktBRDqPlp8hw~~60_12.JPG]

This should in theory give you the extra charging capacity you need.
If you also make up a few of the 8 pack of rechageable aa batterys this give you a back up supply for when your draining one.

ebay states for a mains iphone charger that the output is Output voltage: DC 5V +/- 5% 1000mA
8x1200 mah aa batterys should give you 9600 mah which i believe is just short of 1 amp
Now I'm no expert, but if I were you, thats the way Id do it.
I know it's nit a solar phone charger but I'm intending getting a couple of these: http://bit.ly/QW3HF9
I hope that works lol
I already have a phone case that can charge my phone but that's only one charge. If I'm in woods for weeks I want something that can keep charging my phone
I 've got a phone charger that plugs into the ciggy lighter in the car..£6 on a market stall, I've also seen wind up radio's that have a socket for a mobile phone too.
Personally, I use the Pebble charger, good for about 4 or 5 charges, but then I enjoy the benefits of 2 PicoFreeloaders to charge that up. If the Freeloader is fully charged (the Pebble does a good enough job of that) the extra solar charge is placed into a battery, i.e. phone, or my Pebble. This way, I can use the Pebble to charge the phone and keep the Pico's charged enough to recharge the Pebble back up to full power. It's extra effort faffing around with this wire and that, but the end result is brilliant.

You can even set them all up at the same time, Pico charges Pebble, while Pebble charges Phone.
(13 June 2013, 13:44)Prepper1 Wrote: [ -> ]ebay states for a mains iphone charger that the output is Output voltage: DC 5V +/- 5% 1000mA
8x1200 mah aa batterys should give you 9600 mah which i believe is just short of 1 amp
Now I'm no expert, but if I were you, thats the way Id do it.

Hmmm, just a quick not on batteries....

if you are joining the batteries in parallel, (if you were to lay the AA's side by side and all facing the same way, connect all the + together, and the same for the -) you'd get a 9600mah capacity 1.5v battery

if you lay them in a line, so as you say, you'd end up with 12v, you'd only have a CAPACITY of 1200mah

to convert mah it amps, divide by 1000.

so you'd end up with a 12v 1.2A capacity battery.

to know the discharge rate you need the C rating. (most NiMh rechargeables can put out 5c without issues)

you multiply the C rating by your capacity, and get a theoretical discharge rate

in the case of these batteries 5© x 1.2(A) gives you a theoretical maximum discharge rate of 6amps.

that fits well within your 1A or so required to charge the phone

Sorry if i bored anyone, i just know a little bit about batteries Smile