Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Books/ Kindle etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Having been given a Kindle for Christmas I have found that it appears to have opened up a whole new world for authors. Probably because it means they get their work into the public domain cheaply.
Anyway I have used the ‘search’ facility for ‘post-apocalyptic’, ‘apocalyptic’, ‘plague’, ‘pandemic’ and the like.
I avoid Zombie novels and try to find ones set in the UK, though that is a bit of task.

Just wondered if anyone else had found any good ‘survivalist’ type novels on Kindle or the like.
I already have all the usual ones like ’Survivors’, ‘Death of Grass’ and many more. I am just looking for any recent ones I may have missed. I enjoy a bit of bedtime reading and some of the novels can give you food for thought.
And if this has been posted before or is the wrong place, sorry, I did not see any previous.
Firstly, if you want to read PDFs nicely, then I'd install Duokan (depending on the kindle you have) as it has much better rendering.

The check out http://www.freebookspot.es and fill yer boots.

No book recommendations, sorry.
Amazon has plenty of books in those areas, many are free or for a few pence.
Be careful how many books you have. A fully loaded Kindle weighs more than an empty one. Granted it's only something like 0.02g heavier haha.

No joke, it's true. Crazy hu?
don't know if its available for kindle, but I really enjoyed "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. about a father and son trying to survive well after some sort of apocalyptic event. not political or religious, just about these two characters. no zombies
(19 June 2013, 18:37)Rush2112 Wrote: [ -> ]don't know if its available for kindle, but I really enjoyed "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. about a father and son trying to survive well after some sort of apocalyptic event. not political or religious, just about these two characters. no zombies

Great choice. Made even more popular because of the film.

I'm a Patriots kind of guy. It's a how to manuel poorly hidden in a novel haha. Pretty good read though.
Love the Kindle, great little gizmo. For anyone wanting to source "Classical" books Project Gutenberg has a good library, see the below link.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

They also have a Kindle section
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Free_Kindle_Books

For anyone wanting to know how the Romans managed their small holdings and farms, they have a copy of "Roman Farm Management" Marcus Porcius Cato. well worth a read.
Try:
Last Light by Alex Scarrow (UK based novel - peak oil)
After Light by Alex Scarrow (the follow up)
Oil Slave by JC Kelly
The "From the Fire" trilogy by Kent David Kelly (nuclear war)
Terawatt by Des Michaels (EMP)
Forecast by Chris Keith (nuclear war)(UK based)
Shutdown by W R Flynn (EMP)
Redaction by Linda Andrews (pandemic)
A change in the weather by Raymond Welch (climate change - rise of Christian fundamentalist facism in US)

All above available on Amazon for Kindle

Also, on PDF, Earth Abides by George R Stewart

HTH
Also by Cormac McCarthy,Child of God.Excellent.
don't be too dismissive of Zombie fiction. The threat is, let's say 'unlikely' but it acts as a good metaphor for the general collapse of society and how people behave in that situation.
It always interests me that the most dangerous thing in most Zombie fiction turns out to be other humans competing for resources... the Zombies just keeps the number of these humans down.
This is concerning, as what is likely to really happen is there just be lots more desperate people and no zombies... so the real risks are actually far scarier that any made up zombie apocalypse!
Pages: 1 2