Survival UK Forums

Full Version: YOUTUBE preppers /survivalists
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
your views on youtube preppers and survivalists like mindwiseman, funky prepper to name but a few.
is it good for all our tricks of the trade to be seen buy anybody, do you find it helpfull, why do you think they do it .
i enjoy mindwisemans vids and find them relaxing but some of the others seem like big kids with big knives showing off and talking tough .

BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK ????
Already been stated, bad opsec, deathwish, come and get my gear, like being in front of the camera too much, etc...
ive watched a lot...some are really bushcraft orientated...nowt wrong with that !...others are toe-curlingly cringeable..IMO, some are just opsec...who cares gung ho, the uk preppers 2 blokes....I mean they have good ideas ...most are nothing "biblical brainwaves"....most people know this stuff ..but if your 19yr old and never even been in the scout.........then they may seen fantastic !!.....I can take them or leave them TBH...think most members can guess what "batshit" crazy stuff I look at.... Smile
(23 June 2013, 12:47)RoadWarrior Wrote: [ -> ]ive watched a lot...some are really bushcraft orientated...nowt wrong with that !...others are toe-curlingly cringeable..IMO, some are just opsec...who cares gung ho, the uk preppers 2 blokes....I mean they have good ideas ...most are nothing "biblical brainwaves"....most people know this stuff ..but if your 19yr old and never even been in the scout.........then they may seen fantastic !!.....I can take them or leave them TBH...think most members can guess what "batshit" crazy stuff I look at.... Smile
Nothing wrong with the truth brother!!!!
many are like big kids talking tough, but if one can sift thru all the BS there are lots of good how-to videos. i like to watch them, then try it myself. snare making is one, lots of videos of making a snare out of wire so thin that a squirrel will easily break it. yeah, you made a snare but how effective will it be? learned how to make pop-can stove after watching a video. this time the presenter made it overly difficult taking exact measurements and cutting perfectly straight lines with an exacto knife. i tried it this way first time, took forever. next one i cut using a pocket knife, done much quicker, functions and looks exactly the same except for if you look closely, you can see a bit of a jagged edge sanded with emory cloth.

point is to try things yourself if possible. similar to books, if one watches all the videos, but never does any of the things for real, how effective is the training?

i also like to look at car repair videos to see if its something i can handle before going to the shop. changed the starter on wife's car after watching the video, took about 2 hours labor, saved about 300USD.
You tube can be very beneficial to use for stuff like car "how tos" Reviews of kit we ae thinging of buying, Prepping tips etc but I dont see any need for any preppers to expose their OPSEC by identifying themselves.
i'm sure someone could do an interesting youtube video WITHOUT anyone seeing their face, after all its the info that important not what someone looks like!
What is the POINT of showing your face , unless its a talent show (something for Simon Cowell to think about ) .........please don't
i think to some prepping is like a hobby ,collecting kit camping with the lads .
filming it and uploading to youtube shows their hobby preppers.
showing folk how to is different .
the scottish guy on here skinning a deer great vid and no need to see his face [no mick takeing please]
I Subscribe to a good collection of "prepper" or "homesteader" channels on YouTube. Some of them are fantastic, people like Wranglerstar and Maineprepper have an absolute goldmine of knowledge to pass on. Most of these channels are miles ahead of the manure pushed onto us via TV as far as quality of the videos:
armouredcockroach
One of the British prepper channels, haven't watched much of his stuff
Colion Noir
NRA commentator on gun rights
DEMCAD
DEMCAD2

Inner-city prepper, breaks the prepper mold by being black and urban. Regular commentary on manipulation of economic news and unemployment as well as prepper videos for the urban dwelle
engineer775
Technical prepping videos, one good one is how to build a water pump out of pieces of pipe running entirely on gravity.
hickok45
Iraqveteran8888

Both good shooting / gun channels
ITStactical
Occasional gem, mostly seems to cater to armchair commandos
James Yeager
Farily controversial, marmite tactical / shooting channel. Seems to know his stuff though
Lee Griffin
British prepping channel
MAINEPREPPER
Would absolutely reccomend to everyone. He's a 50+ ex-soldier, partially disabled but living the prepping dream; rural retreat in a small community. Very wise, no-nonsense from someone who's been prepping since the 70's-80's. A good mix of survivalist and off grid content.
nutnfancy
Another "marmite" channel. Expect long videos and "dude!" "Awesome." Reviews of knives, guns, as well as philosophy videos (Good for converting passively anti-gun brits to someone who can see both sides.) He lives what he teaches, regularly going up mountains to test stuff to destruction.)
scooby1961
Free, no-nonsense fitness advice from someone who ins't trying to sell you something. You can do anything with a basic set of weights and a pullup bar. He has been into fitness for 30+ years, is built like a cyldesdale and does marathons and other long distance cardio. A one stop shop for prepper fitness, no matter what level you are at.
SGTbull07
Good precious metal investment channel, good for monitoring the decline of the global financial situation. One caveat, he seems to laud precious metals as the only prep, though i may be wrong
southernprepper1
Good US prepper channel, varied mix of topics coverd, a jack of all trades
StormCloudsGathering
Think Alex Jones, but more accessible and less obnoxious
TheHossUSMC
Former US marine turned prepper, similiar content to Southernprepper1 and Maineprepper
thenewsurvivalist
Beardy type survivalist, doesn't upload much nowadays but covers lots of areas like food storage, medicine and water.
ThePatriotNurse
Medical prepping channel, knows her stuff
ukcolumn
Alternative media for the UK. Worth watching for any British prepper who wants to moniter the spread of corruption through our country.
wranglerstar
WranglerstarDIY
Homesteader, living the dream. 5 Star content
Pages: 1 2 3