Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Red cross operation Ardent Shield in Birmingham
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Maybe something maybe nothing...

Request for Participants at Exercise ArdenShield - a Multi-Agency European Union CBRN(e) Live Exercise at the ICC, Birmingham on Thursday 15th August 2013

Blue-light responders along with a consortium of British and European academic and consultants on CBRN(e) and the British Red Cross will be holding an emergency exercise on Thursday 15th August 2013, and we need your help!

The exercise will serve the purposes of:

Testing the Emergency services’ ability to deal with a mass casualty CBRN(e) incident involving casualties who have been exposed to a mysterious substance. This will include, treatment, triage, and decontamination of those injured and the consequent address welfare issues associated with

Allowing academics and consultants from across the UK and Europe the opportunity to undertake both quantitive and qualitative social research into aspects of human behavior in those caught up in disasters / emergencies

This will run as a live exercise in real time.

All participants will need to arrive at a location (TBC) at the ICC in Birmingham at 08:30 hrs for a briefing and for those who are to play casualties, the application of casualty make-up. The exercise will end at approximately 16:30 hrs. During the event you will be supplied with refreshments and a lunch pack.

Prior to the exercise you will receive by email a briefing sheet detailing more exactly the operational plan for the exercise.

Volunteers will play the part of either members of the public who have been invited to the ICC to participate in an event in one of the halls. Details of the event you are attending (as per exercise play) along with very specific information pertaining to your exact role will be released on the day itself. Due to the nature of the exercise and, in particular the research elements, each individual will have a very specific role to play. All participants will be extremely distressed by this and will exhibit a mixture of panic and crying accompanied by highly charged emotional demands of staff to request information. This is a fantastic opportunity to experience first hand how this situation would be dealt with by emergency services and also airport staff and the techniques / resources deployed to deal with this. Those with injuries will be briefed on the signs and symptoms to exhibit.

The exercise will take place in-doors.

Under 18s will need to be accompanied by a responsible adult, and a parental consent form (given at the end of this document) or available on request from Ade Powney apowney@redcross.org.uk) will need to be completed prior to the exercise.

There will be a decontamination element whereby participants will be asked to remove outer clothing and pass through a large tented structure (individually and / or in family groups) that has shower-heads suspended above it with a view to washing away the “mysterious substance” that you have been contaminated with. For this it is recommended that individual wear outer-clothing they do not mind getting crumpled (it will be placed into plastic bags and returned to individuals at the end). For the decontamination part, participants are encouraged
to wear swimming short / bathing costume and a t-shirt.

Refreshments will be provided on the day and you will receive a certification of appreciation for your involvement and any out of pocket expenses incurred will be reimbursed.

If you have never done anything like this before, I promise you an interesting experience. This exercise will be of particular interest to students of paramedic science, medicine, nursing and / or emergency planning, or those (such as drama students) wishing to gain technical casualty acting experience.

An actual disaster could be devastating our goal is to be as prepared as possible through the testing procedures related to mass casualties and through gaining the best understanding of how to mitigate and allay peoples fears and uncertainties.

If you would like to participate, please complete the attached form and email back to Adrian Powney apowney@redcross.org.uk. If this application form is not with this flyer, please email as above to request this.
Enter the de-contamination area........don't you worry its only a shower......for your clothes heres a pretty flower..! Nope I would not participate in anything like that to help any government.....I don't think I need to say why.!! .....as they say on the news......."on the morning of the ######## WE WERE ACTUALLY DOING AN "EXERCISE "....AT THAT "EXACT LOCATION "
Quote:All participants will need to arrive at a location (TBC) at the ICC in Birmingham at 08:30 hrs for a briefing and for those who are to play casualties, the application of casualty make-up. The exercise will end at approximately 16:30 hrs. During the event you will be supplied with refreshments and a lunch pack.

I wonder how they plan to hold a briefing prior to a real disaster? I'll also bet that in a real emergency, refreshments and lunch will NOT be served.

The best training exercises should be held with NO warning! I remember one where I didn't even know it was a training exercise for the first half hour or so. That's one training exercise that I'll always remember...
ANY emergency in Britain should be accompanied by Tea & Biscuits, it's how we do it. "house just been blown up dear, never mind have a cup of Tea". makes it all better.