Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Wild food
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all I've been having one of my weeks no not one of-them Smile the ones were I eat what I catch or forage for
tinned food is fine but you will be love the taste of fresh food if when it all goes south if you practice now and learn the tricks of your trade it will be much easier than when the pressure is on
I'm sitting here with mackerel prawns muscles ray wings tomato salad (I really am going to find out how to get photos on here lol )
All caught and grown myself and things like that always taste better if you worked for them
I know it is hard for some of you to practice but if your near the sea get and do a bit of fishing just to get familiar with the rod and line learn how to make snares watch u tube plenty of info on there a little bit of knowledge is better than none

Bd
sounds like a nice feast going on BD well done pal.
Nice One Bowdrill !!

all caught down the Cleddau and Turbotbank??

and I bet your south facing for a good siting of the garden ..lolSmile

Alterego
you been spying on me lol 99% correct Smile
not many comments on this post makes you wonder sometimes lol

bd
Well I am quiet pleased with what we are growing now, but we dont have the places to go out and do a lot of foraging ,..as for fishing well I have been known to go out and try it, but I dislike fish so dont normally bother
Them wild haggis is good eating HL .....but crafty little buggers to shoot so I'm told....my mate went up as a beater a few years back....he eats lots of monster munch by the way.
(1 July 2013, 20:38)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]Them wild haggis is good eating HL .....but crafty little buggers to shoot so I'm told....my mate went up as a beater a few years back....he eats lots of monster munch by the way.

They're crafty, yes but you have to surprise them on flat ground to have much of a chance of bagging one...
Umm GG ........you like monster munch to then? you bafty crastard
That's awesome BD! Good going mate.

I'm playing around with 'odd' foods for the same kind of reasons mate...see mmm...bugs post.

Next up is acorns and acorn flour. That'll be interesting.

One interesting fact I found, if you eat grass, you absorb no nutrients. But if you chew grass for a while, then spit out the solid matter, you actually absorb a pretty good amount of nutrients. Not loads, or enough to live off, but a definite supplement to your diet. Worth knowing when on the move too!
(1 July 2013, 22:25)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]That's awesome BD! Good going mate.

I'm playing around with 'odd' foods for the same kind of reasons mate...see mmm...bugs post.

Next up is acorns and acorn flour. That'll be interesting.

One interesting fact I found, if you eat grass, you absorb no nutrients. But if you chew grass for a while, then spit out the solid matter, you actually absorb a pretty good amount of nutrients. Not loads, or enough to live off, but a definite supplement to your diet. Worth knowing when on the move too!

I have tried acorns,...

Acorns are very bitter, because they have tanning in them,.. so I put them in a bag overnight and hung them in a waterfall [small one ], that saved me flushing them out several times, as I read you are supposed to do.. then dried them and grated them with a cheese grater,..

From there I have tried two ways of eating them,.. the first as a sprinkle on other food,.. but I didn't really like the grittiness in the other food, gets into your teeth, but the taste was ok

The second way, was after I had bacon for breakfast while camping, I threw in some of the acorn grindings and mixed it with the bacon fat, rolled them and let then cool a bit, then ate them as small balls,.. they tasted quiet good

as for grasses, if you eat the seed heads of most grasses, the likes of sheep sorrel for instance, that gives you a lot of goodness,.. get enough and you could make a bread
Pages: 1 2