Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Depression post SHTF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
a good slap works every timeBig Grin.lime flower works well made into a tea with camomile,drink a couple of cups a day.
(1 July 2013, 21:05)MaryN Wrote: [ -> ]Already got those (except lime flower), Stewart. TBH if my OH started weeping and wailing or having the vapours when SHTF he's going to get a good kick up the a**e!. I'll have enough to do without all that.

I get what you're saying, and I 90% agree. Thing is, different things effect people in different ways. If the whole world went to crap, just me and my wife, I'd be okay (I believe) and she would crumble. If I kicked her butt, that's really not going to improve her situation. But that's the problem, right now all we have is ideas. I knew my dad was going to die and had loads of time to get ready for it. When he passed, I was fine. But a few weeks later, one random thing set me off and neither myself or my wife expected me to crash as badly as I did.

All we have now is opinions, but facts can often screw opinions up. When IT happens, there's no telling how yourself or OH will react! Even SS (no offense mate) might crumble under the loss of loved ones in his team.

Pretending it's not a possibility is the same thing as ignoring it. But if it does happen and depression hits yourself or a loved one, you'll be glad you considered the possibility. Ignore the chance and you could be in a real problem!

That wasn't just focused at you Mary. That was meant for everyone.
(1 July 2013, 21:19)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(1 July 2013, 21:05)MaryN Wrote: [ -> ]Already got those (except lime flower), Stewart. TBH if my OH started weeping and wailing or having the vapours when SHTF he's going to get a good kick up the a**e!. I'll have enough to do without all that.

I get what you're saying, and I 90% agree. Thing is, different things effect people in different ways. If the whole world went to crap, just me and my wife, I'd be okay (I believe) and she would crumble. If I kicked her butt, that's really not going to improve her situation. But that's the problem, right now all we have is ideas. I knew my dad was going to die and had loads of time to get ready for it. When he passed, I was fine. But a few weeks later, one random thing set me off and neither myself or my wife expected me to crash as badly as I did.

All we have now is opinions, but facts can often screw opinions up. When IT happens, there's no telling how yourself or OH will react! Even SS (no offense mate) might crumble under the loss of loved ones in his team.

Pretending it's not a possibility is the same thing as ignoring it. But if it does happen and depression hits yourself or a loved one, you'll be glad you considered the possibility. Ignore the chance and you could be in a real problem!

That wasn't just focused at you Mary. That was meant for everyone.

Its always going to be a temp fix because the anti depressants will run out at some point,We will all suffer loss when TSHTF comes but there is going to be so much going on.I know a woman who has schizophrenia and shes ok when she takes her meds but when she doesn't she cant control her anger and goes completely mental and does not remember what she has done so i will be giving her a wide berth when the time comes.
But seriously think about all the people that wont be getting their meds its going to be a nightmare
I think I am the same as you, as long as we were together managing, then we would be fine,

Hopefully nothing like this would happen in the early days,.. and to get through those early days we would probably have to toughen up a lot, so when this happened, bad as it would be,... we may be in a different frame of mind,... survival is a strange thing,... most people do over come such difficulties
I completely agree with you Falcon. I agree on the temp fix too. But a temp fix can buy time and that might be all you need to get a long term fix sorted.

HL, I get where you're coming from too mate. My issue is that not everyone will want to survive but also that there are no guarantees our mindset will change. The guy from the 127 Hours fame had the survival mindset and survived. There are many more that have died in less dangerous situations. They may have been waiting for their survival mindset to kick in too?
In the case of just ME left S13 , I cannot offer up a true and honest answer, not thought on that one, but for life to have meaning for me that would be helping others ....otherwise what would be the point of life at all .....if you have nobody to share it with. I suppose I could try and make it to BPs neck of the woods and hail him in a brummy accent ....holding a lamb sacrifice , but I doubt I would find the bugger.
SS, you're spot on what I'm trying to get at. Because we can't know how we'd react, shouldn't we start discussion on how to sort out possible reactions? Steve has answered with antiD herbs. Nice one mate, forgot to thank you, but will do so in a second.

Because WE (people) are the unknown in these situations, but also because we are accustomed to such comfort, where we don't consider daily fighting for our lives, it makes sense to work out how to deal with various possibilities.

Sorry Stewart, I said Steve but meant you mate.
I think that we already have the right mind set, we are talking about it, we are aware it could happen, we are talking about what we might do after it happens if it does

The people who do not have the right mind set are those who do not think about it, the ones taken by surprise, those who thought it could never happen to them

I think everyone would go through a very uncertain period if this happened, but I also think that we would continue,.... we have to think that way, if we want to survive
I think you are probably a bit of an old softie, S13, and I completely understand your point of view. I guess I'm hardened and more cynical. My OH has suffered from depression, in fact he suffers from PTSD and has done so since the Falklands (nasty experiences!). It manifests as impatience and temper - I ignore it. If it really ticks me off I adminster a "wind your neck in" talking to. Pills do not help, in fact they have been more of a problem, and they can also cause short and long term side effects and dependancy, and there is no way you can forecast how they will effect people. Always a dangerous course, particularly if the depressed person then has to go cold turkey when the pills run out.

I guess I feel that some forms of depression are rather self-indulgent, and my past experience in dealing with a lot of similarly affected people has brought me to that conclusion.

In a SHTF scenario self-indulgence is going to be just that!
That's a very good point Mary, and not just that I'm a softy haha.

There will be some that spiral, and could become a danger to others though. Some that a kick in the butt won't help.
Pages: 1 2 3