Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Telling little fibs for Opsec
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sheesh over the last year or two i have got so fed up with people in stores etc asking me what I am doing things like buying large bottles of fuel stabiliser, buying 6 gas bottles, buying multiple Jerry Cans and Water ccontainers, buying four identical bows a, buying 6 spare strings, 10 tubs of coffee mate, 1 kilo bags of salt etc.. I bet you have all had to do it as some time. Yup deflect often innocent but bloody inquisitive questions as to why you are buying A or doing B!!.

When I go and fill Jerry cans now I tell the guy I'm a groundskeeper at a school, same when bulk buying those budget compound bows.
The woman in Makro things i run a church social club that why I buy so much Coffee Mate, Salt, Flour etc.

I used to get embarrased trying to explain what prepping is to sales staff, but its easier for all parties if you cover your opsec with a little fib.
I had a woman jokingly ask why I had the need for so many bandages. I replied without really thinking "Any situation requiring bandages normally requires a lot more than just one." She didn't really understand. You could always say you work with the scouts, which would justify the bows as well as the bulk foodstuffs.
I have not had this problem as I don't tend to buy much in bulk more of the little and often and it tends to be everyday items.Big Grin
I do the same when I buy in bulk. It use a boys club as it gives flexibility if someone is actually in the scouts which happened previously. I said the stores were for the Scouts and some guy was a Scout leader. I ended up saying I was buying them for someone else who wanted them for the Scouts.

I did have one guy asking more details about my club as he wanted to get his lad more involved in outside activities.

That is the problem with lying, and why I avoid it, you can't just make up one lie and someone will innocently ask some questions you don't want to answer.

So,think about it. Have a simple cover story, You: Boys Club, Them: Where is it. Y: Name something a few miles away. T: Oh! can my son join. Y: Full at the moment, Sorry not enough CRB checked peados. T: I could help then. Y: Give up here and take their number. If they want your number give them your number with the last few digits transposed.

Sometimes you can dig a hole that attracts everyones attention when you clearly are making something up.
i'm in the same camp as David, I tend to buy little and often...I don't buy in bulk, the only time I got asked was when I bought 6 or 8 butterfly tin openers..in Tescos..cos they were cheap, the till operator asked if I was collecting tin openers, to which I replied "yes"....end of that conversation!!Big GrinBig Grin
I tend to buy little and often also and as I only shop once a month, telling folk that is the reason is easy enough. If I want large quantities of something, I tend to buy mail order as then no-one asks questions. Or if there is a bargain in a supermarket, I will buy a couple in one and then go to another of the same kind for another couple - but I am in the fortunate position of having lots of options around where I live at the moment.

Lying, however small and 'white', is not an option for me, really.
I tend to have brain freeze when people ask me so i normally say because i want to with a bit of an attitude and that normally stops questions as i dont particularly want to tell folk the truth and normally cant think of good lies (for instance, i was asked about my electric supplier once and cos i couldnt think of a good way out of it i told them i didnt have electricity in the house and walked off lol)
In the past I have said I am a preper with a smile on my face,.. no-one has believed me yet... Smile,...

Buying in bulk raises less eye brows up here, because so many people do so normally, but if I want anything `out of the ordinary` I buy on-line
I've found that my best CG officer's glare has a remarkably chilling effect on unwanted personal questions. Grumpy Grandpa's Sargeant-Major's glare probably works just as well... Wink
You can't win the opsec battle. You can only make it more confusing too a degree.

Here in the states buying in bulk is considered a sign of suspicious terrorist activity. Store clerks are expected to bring these activities to the attention of the authorities.

Nice part is that they put this out in the government publications so they have forced opsec on us by telling us they are watching and consider what was once normal and the recommended economic activity now suspicious.

Buying on line is not any security, leaves a bank card footprint, shipping records, so they can track you three ways (e-mail/purchase records/shipping records).

Every store on the planet now has security cameras.

They're everywhere...they're everywhere!!!

Buy small, shop diversely, pay cash.

I purchase a lot of things at the farm supply store. Buying small amounts draws attention there! Grains, meds, salt by the ton.
Pages: 1 2