Survival UK Forums

Full Version: A personal equipment reserve kit consideration.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A personal equipment reserve kit consideration.
NR
I just want to run something past you guys, more like thinking aloud again, You probably all have BOBs, GHBs, INCH’s EDC bags and gear etc loaded close to hand and ready to go at a moment’s notice.

Equally I assume a good percentage of us have caches splattered here and there containing extra food, meds, maps, fuel, water, batteries, rations etc all set aside for when TSHTF.

What I want to chew over is an addition that currently cos I cannot think of a better name I’m calling a PERK, it will probably end up with another titles as time goes by.

This kit is not so much a SURVIVAL kit or PREPPING kit but a PERSONAL EQUIPMENT RESERVE KIT
(PERK?). I can envisage situations where at times those of us who still have to work for a living find themselves working in places or parts of town where even your EDC kit could see you fired or arrested or whatever.

Now I admit this idea is by no means original or mine, what is behind it is often or TV cops shows and adventure movies the spy / cop/ hero/ veteran finds himself / herself in a hostile situation and they are because of circumstances totally unequipped to function because they have been separated by necessity from their own gear.

What normally happen’s ala Jason Bourne / James Bond / Rambo/ Hero Character travel to some out the way friends/ relatives place/ vault and recover a bag/ box/ trunk/ case/ rucksack with extra PERSONAL ESSENTIAL gear in it?

It’s this sort of PERSONAL gear I’m thinking about in this article, not a SURVIVAL kit per se but more of a personal equipment kit hid some place easily accessible that would allow you to start functioning again promptly if caught out in a sudden event.

This won’t appeal to all of us, but enough of us still have to travel to distant towns and cities or work in places with high enough security that you could not keep your EDC gear or GHB with you on the job. (Schools, Colleges, Transport hubs, Civil service or governmental agencies etc) Anyway I think this is worth exploring to a degree for now.

For the fact we also have a healthy American contingent on SUK I’ll try and use terminology that is acceptable to both groups and tools that are available in those countries.

So let us start and get the inevitable out the way in the US our members may choose to include a

US ONLY
Back up pistol (depending on local laws)
Spare mags
50 rounds of ammo
Cleaning kit
Copy of CCW or Open Carry permit

US/UK
Knife (fixed or folder)
Sheath
Telescopic Baton (Collector’s item only)
Baton Carrier
Flashlight
Spare Batteries
Coloured flashlight lenses
Spare Car keys
Spare House Keys
Spare Office Keys
Spare job ID card

£50 or $50 Cash
Prepaid phone card
Prepaid Oyster or Transit system card with funds

Prepaid PAYG Emergency cell phone
AA emergency power kit plus connectors for powering cell phone
Solar battery charger kit
List of important numbers

AM/FM radio
Spare batteries
Lighter
Compass
Watch (solar or self-winder)
Multi tool
Binos
Pain Killers
Puritabs
Blister kit
Script personal meds
Foil aluminium survival blanket
Spare Script Eye glasses
Spare Shades
Local Map
(Female stuff if needed)
Small fold up compact water proof jacket?

All this gear only takes up enough space for a small shoe box sized Peli-case and should be easily concealable. Remember this kit is more about getting yourself operational and secure ASAP in a crisis long before you go looking for your BOBs and Caches.

Care to contribute to the debate?
We are both lucky enough to both drive for a living, so we are both able to take a small bag to work, but its more of a get me home bag than anything else, but it includes our radios, knife, a days food, sunglasses, and emergency shelter,.. I have a pair of Binos, and the van has a first aid kits
In all these shows all they have in the kits is a gun, legal or not, passports.illegal and a shed load of cash.

If anyone wants to leave any of that with me feel free. Smile

Joking aside. What you are talking about is an emergency escape kit for an individual when TSHNHTF (The Shit Has Not Hit The Fan) so they can get disappear from the Stasi.

Otherwise you would be helped by the third party anyway.

I'm not really sure what you are trying the achieve here. Although I'm OK with getting away from the Stasi on its own.
Good post NR, but I would opt for 300-500 rounds of ammunition as a bare minimum (MZBs do tend to reproduce rapidly)! $50 or £50 sounds a bit light too. $500 to $1,000 is more realistic. Pre-loaded bank cards may not work when the SHTF and cash is king. Fractional gold and silver coins may be worthwhile too (like for bribing your way past a roadblock).
I have a holdall in my Aberdeen office for such an occurrence, seeing as even the largest GHB won't get me home.

It is enough for me to get to family in Inverness, or south.

Usually though use it get into a fit state in a hurry.

It contains

Hotel toiletries, facecloth and toothbrush
Towel
Small roll on deodorant
Change of clothes (shirt, trousers and tie , warm jumper and jeans)
Pound shop med kit (mostly for pins, plasters)
packet of paracetamol
one of these http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/111202...l-tin.html
couple of bottles of irn bru
empty 1 litre water bottle
Small FM scan radio
Wallet containing £50 and ID
old SAK

most of the other stuff that would need are around the office (spare jacket, food, random tools) or in my EDC.