Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Older Reciever
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found a Steepletone sab9 in loft works on power up

are they freqs it recieves make it worth keeping somewhere ?

mw 540-1600khz
lw 150-270 khz
fm 88-108
air 109-136
marine 137-176khz

any info great thanks
It looks like you found an interesting radio receiver. I'm not certain that it would qualify as an antique, or if it has value to a collector, but I would certainly get onto the internet and check it out.

Here are four criteria for a SHTF radio that I can recommend:
1. It can receive on multiple power sources - batteries, automobile cigarette plug, and commercial household power at the bare minimums. Solar and hand-crank are a plus.
2. It can receive commercial AM and FM stations (how else will we know what the government wants us to think), plus weather, plus HF, UHF, and VHF.
3. In the UHF-AM range it MUST have single-sideband capability. Most hams transmitting in phone (voice) mode will be transmitting in SSB mode.
4. It has a plug or jack for an outside antenna to be attached, in addition to the antenna that is built into the radio.

For me, the lack of any one of these capabilities render a radio not viable in a SHTF situation.
I think that any receiver of any reasonable quality will be of use after an even, the one thing that will be important, will be knowing whats going on around you.

I would play around with it, I wonder if it could pick up Police broadcasts if it has air and Marine it may well do,...I would keep it, I think I would Faraday cage it
still need to make a faraday cage ! will pop in when complete
CORRECTION: (or why I need an "edit" button!

3. In the HF-AM range it MUST have single-sideband capability. Most hams transmitting in phone (voice) mode will be transmitting in SSB mode.
(14 July 2013, 12:41)Shaysdad99 Wrote: [ -> ]Found a Steepletone sab9 in loft works on power up

are they freqs it recieves make it worth keeping somewhere ?

mw 540-1600khz
lw 150-270 khz
fm 88-108
air 109-136
marine 137-176khz

any info great thanks

Hi Shaysdad99,

Looks and interesting little receiver. It should pick up broadcast stations locally and nationally as well as near Europe stations( MW/LW/FM) Air band and Marine band are useful

Its not a state of the art ultra sensitive bit of kit, but it will serve the purpose of gathering information from the outside world.

Probably it is worthwhile firing it up and spending a while carefully listening to the bands with it, noting / marking on its dial, the frequencies of interesting stations.
had a good play with this for a few weeks now

picks up radio stations no bother

picks up newcastle airport control from 11 miles

picks up scottish control (aviaton) easily

yet to hear anything on marine but will test out some more
anything that works is worth keeping
Shaysdad99,

Good result getting the receiver working.

Being able to monitor local airports is useful.
On the marine VHF band, do a bit of internet research and determine which channels are used for scheduled marine safety broadcasts and notices to mariners. In the US channel 22A on 157.100 is used for scheduled maritime bulletins daily at noon. These are announced prior to the broadcast on Channel 16, which is 156.800. The Coast Guard shore stations transmitvat higher power than vessels afloat, and you should be able to hear the scheduled notices to mariners from 100km away if you have a good antenna mounted high and in the clear at least 10m above ground.