Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Looking for B O Routes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Take a gander at this decent Canal network map of England, the closer you zoom in the more detail there is, all these canals also have towpaths that you can walk or cycle along as well.

http://www.waterexplorer.co.uk/gmaps/int...almap.aspx
A boat can carry a whole lot more weight than you can on a bicycle or on your back. Are 16' or 18' aluminum canoes available over there for a decent price? My experience is with 18' Grumman aluminum canoes which could easily carry a family of 4 with provisions for two weeks. The canoe can also be easily(?) portaged from one waterway to another by one adult. Just something you might want to look into.
This be the one you're all looking for.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map

Cheers Juice.
I am wary of canal towpaths or the waterways themselves. In a boat of some type, you would be terribly exposed and with no easy escape from an aggressor close by on the bank. The rate of movement would be low also. Added to that is the likelihood of the waterway being easily blocked at any point and the overhead bridges etc. You would be a sitting duck.
Being on the towpath is not much better. You are bounded on one side by the canal itself and would have few options of manoeuvre if a possible threat approached. Moving on bikes would compound the problem of hazard identification in a useable timeframe.
I am not ruling out canal routes altogether but I would be very wary of using them. They also tend to move from one urban area to another and "A" roads often follow similar land contours which means the likelihood of meeting strangers can be higher where the two transport routes are close together.
I think that quite a few non preppers may also opt in to the canal network route idea and that does not include the boat people or the nearby residents themselves.
Footpaths, green lanes, bridleways and farm tracks across rural areas would be my choice, preferably at night and with night or thermal vision if ability and finances allowed. This is of course if ruling out the vehicle option. A waterborne vehicle on canals would be too slow for a bug out option. More a slow gentler progress but with increased risk. IMO. Large rivers would be a different scenario and wholly possible. Location, location, location as they say Undecided
I'm seriously thinking the only BO route is out of this Government infested country that is slowly sinking into state tyranny.
One of our BO is Wales in a family members farm. This year we are going to see if we can get to Wales using B and unclassified roads. Should be interesting I'm allowing 2 days to see if we can do it.
as kids in south london we all used train tracks and streams to get about with our heads down.
streams not that deep so just paddling along often going underground in built up areas .
train tracks fenced off often in a dip out of sight out of mind , only problem you can bump into others with the same idea
if we have to bug out on foot, going across country-cycle paths, footpaths, travelling alongside or near the rivers NOT on them, hide up by day, travel early morning and late evening.
The problem here lies with our approach towards bugging in or out, its oh so simple to say " We cannot use roads/ tracks/ tow paths/ cycles ways / rail lines etc but if you HAVE to bug in or out you probably are not going to have a choice.

But if you have reccied and mapped those routes in advance you can mitigate and minimise the risks by plotting likely abuse points or hot spots.

I am equally " wary" of most routes because the chance are others will be using part of them but that is just life and luck.

Its better to have the routes mapped and reccied in advance rather than be driven onto them in desperation and not knowing what is along the route.

You can always parallel any parts that look really dicey as well. Knowledge is an asset, ignorance could mean death.

(19 July 2013, 11:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]The problem here lies with our approach towards bugging in or out, its oh so simple to say " We cannot use roads/ tracks/ tow paths/ cycles ways / rail lines etc but if you HAVE to bug in or out you probably are not going to have a choice.

But if you have reccied and mapped those routes in advance you can mitigate and minimise the risks by plotting likely ambush points or hot spots.

I am equally " wary" of most routes because the chance are others will be using part of them but that is just life and luck.

Its better to have the routes mapped and reccied in advance rather than be driven onto them in desperation and not knowing what is along the route.

You can always parallel any parts that look really dicey as well. Knowledge is an asset, ignorance could mean death.
Typos sorted I hope