Survival UK Forums

Full Version: swapping GHB for BOB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was just wondering how many of you swap your GHB for your BOB when travelling more than your usual distance. I swap my GHB for my bob when travelling over 35 miles for home.
I don't go that far , 3 miles to the nearest village that's it!
I only have a GHB,... so I dont need to worry
my GHB is the same as my BOB, in fact its the same bag Big Grin
I think that anything over 100 miles will mean I'll have my car with me. Actually, most distances involve my car...yes I'm lazy, I know.

The thing is, I only need to get back to my car. From there, I would assess the best course of action; get home or stay put. Then, I'll think out distance, time, weather, location, passing routes, etc. Can carry both, but not practical. Once home, second BOB is available, so if I leave my original BOB in the car, no harm done. I take the financial loss, but technically I have a cache as well haha.
(23 July 2013, 18:18)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I think that anything over 100 miles will mean I'll have my car with me. Actually, most distances involve my car...yes I'm lazy, I know.

The thing is, I only need to get back to my car. From there, I would assess the best course of action; get home or stay put. Then, I'll think out distance, time, weather, location, passing routes, etc. Can carry both, but not practical. Once home, second BOB is available, so if I leave my original BOB in the car, no harm done. I take the financial loss, but technically I have a cache as well haha.

Dont forget that there may be many reasons why your car will be no good to you,.. an EMP knocks it out, or traffic jammed up for many different reasons

Unless of course you mean that you only have to get back to your car to retrieve your GHB before walking out,... but you didnt say that,...Smile
(23 July 2013, 18:25)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]
(23 July 2013, 18:18)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I think that anything over 100 miles will mean I'll have my car with me. Actually, most distances involve my car...yes I'm lazy, I know.

Dont forget that there may be many reasons why your car will be no good to you,.. an EMP knocks it out, or traffic jammed up for many different reasons

Unless of course you mean that you only have to get back to your car to retrieve your GHB before walking out,... but you didnt say that,...Smile

maybe he means a 100 mile walk is nothing, we all know what a fit person he is..he said it often enough!Big Grin for the lesser mortals amongst us including myself 100 miles would probably be a weeks journey by foot. when coming back from the WG-which is 100 miles from my home- I take to the back roads as soon as I can, these are much quieter than the A303/A30 and only used by locals.
I don't have a BOB. I work 200 miles from home 3 days a week, so I have my GHB with me. Actually it's becoming less and less of a GHB and just my normal camping gear. Walking 200 miles would take quite some time, I figured about 20 miles a day with the gear and being kind of careful. Need to get myself one of those fold up bikes, can easily double the daily distance and half the time it takes to get back. But there are plenty of bike around, so I'd just take one if necessary
200 miles is a fair distance, do you have maps of the area showing alternative routes out? or are you just going to use the roads?
(24 July 2013, 10:49)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]200 miles is a fair distance, do you have maps of the area showing alternative routes out? or are you just going to use the roads?

I know a fair few different routes, depending on what happens to make me walk. But I' be sticking to the roads initially. I do spend a lot of my time at work scouring google earth for interesting things on the routes home though. I could walk it easy without maps. Just need to walk west and keep going!
Pages: 1 2 3