Survival UK Forums

Full Version: UV5r Initial configuration & On the fly programming.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The ability to program the UV5r memory channels from the radio itself is important from a prepping point of view. In a grid down world availability of computers to program the radio is likely to be severely limited.

A number of SUK members who have purchased UV5r units have complained that the programming description is beyond their comprehension. This is no reflection on their mental capacity! The documentation supplied by the manufacturer is poorly written in Chinglish. It is confusing as well as incomplete.

So, after a good deal of trial and a lot more error, we have come up with the following routine for initial configuration and on the fly programming:

The instructions are written to guide a completely new user to set up their radio for the first time to minimise the potential for harmful interference to vital radio communications, as the UV5r is capable of interfering on Marine / Coastguard Emergency, Air-Sea Rescue, Mountain Rescue and Military frequencies.

The instructions move on to program two channels into the UV5r memory. The programming process can be repeated by users for alternate and supplementary frequencies. The UV5r has a memory capacity of 128 channels.
================================================================================

In this sequence of instructions we will:-
Set both of the UV5r’s transceiver sections to areas of the band where accidental transmission will cause least interference to critical communication frequencies.
• configure the UV5r to low power,
• Set the deviation to narrow to minimise cross-talk interference
• Program two frequencies into the UV5R memory bank. These will be
o PMR channel 1** into Channel 1 on the UV 5r
o Ham Calling 2m calling channel* into Ch20 of the UV5r

*, **, IMPORTANT
It is illegal to transmit on Ham frequencies without a valid Amateur radio license.
It is illegal to transmit on PMR446 channels /frequencies using the UV5R at the current time.
However both ham frequencies and PMR channels may be monitored entirely legally using the UV5r without any license.
These instructions are for contingency monitoring purposes only

Step 1 Basic Initial Configuration for the UV5r

1.1 Ensure that the supplied antenna is in place.

1.2 Turn on the radio by turning rotary knob on the top of the unit. Two frequency registers will be displayed on the screen, one above the other.

1.3 Press orange VFO/MR button to get to non-channel mode. This is identified by there being no small numbers showing to the right hand side of the frequency lines below the battery status indicator.

For Info: Repeated pressing of this orange button toggles between Non-Channel Mode (VFO = Variable Frequency Oscillator) and Channel Mode (MR = Memory)

1.4 Press Blue A/B button to display the UP-ARROW alongside the UPPER frequency display

1.5 Using the keypad type in 446043 A frequency of starting with the numbers 446 should now appear on the upper display.

For info: Varying initial configurations of the radio will generate different values after the decimal point of the main frequency. The important thing is to get the radio initially pointing at a part of the band (446 Mhz) where it will create the last harmful and less critical interference if inadvertently the transmit button is pressed.

1.6 Press Blue A/B button to illuminate UP-ARROW alongside the LOWER frequency display

1.7 Using the keypad type in 446043 A frequency of starting with the numbers 446 should now appear on the LOWER display.
For info: Each register must be configured independently, this is why we repeat the process here.

1.8 Press Blue A/B button to display the UP-ARROW alongside the upper frequency display

NOW BOTH UPPER AND LOWER FREQUENCY DISPLAYS SHOULD BE SHOWING A FREQUENCY VALUE STARTING WITH 446.

The purpose of the steps 1.4 through 1.8 is to ensure that any accidental transmission while setting up the radio will fall in the PMR 446 band. While still illegal transmissions they will at least not interfere with vital or heavily policed frequencies. But every effort must be made NOT to transmit even here.

1.9 The following Menu items are to be repeated for both UPPER and LOWER registers (remember the Blue A/B selector to toggle between the two registers)

Press MENU button, and use up/down arrows alongside to select Menu items. Each item has its own item number that appears under the Battery monitor icon. We scroll through the memory items using the up and down arrows. Try this.

Hint: after approx. 10 seconds of inactivity the Menu closes and the radio reverts to frequency display.

Hint: Menu items are on a circular sequence, the next up button press after item 40 takes you back to item 0

1.9.1 Press MENU button, and use up/down arrows alongside to select Menu item 2 TXP. Press Menu button to move selector indicator down arrow to the lower menu sub-item. Use the up down arrow to toggle through High and Low. With LOW displayed press the Menu button once again.

After 10 seconds the radio will return to frequency display. A small L should be showing on the left hand side of the very top line of the display

This selects low power ( 1w)

REPEAT FOR UPPER AND LOWER REGISTER

1.9.2 Press MENU button, and use up/down arrows alongside to select Menu item 5 WN. Press Menu button to move selector indicator down arrow to the lower menu sub-item. Use the up down arrow to toggle through WIDE and NARR. With NARR displayed press the Menu button once again.

After 10 seconds the radio will return to frequency display. A small N should be showing around the centre of the very top line of the display

For info: This selects Narrow transmission mode to minimise cross-talk with adjacent frequencies and channels.

1.9.3 Press MENU button, and use up/down arrows alongside to select Menu item 1 STEP. Press Menu button to move selector indicator down arrow to the lower menu sub-item. Use the up down arrow to toggle through sub items. With 6.25K displayed press the Menu button once again.

After 10 seconds the radio will return to frequency display.

2.Programming Channels

The frequencies, we will be programming are:
Ham 2m Calling Channel *
Frequency 145.500
Deviation Wide ( but we will program narrow for speed and reduced inter channel cross-talk)
Power Low

PMR446 Channel 1 **
Frequency 446.00625
Deviation Narrow
Power Low

2.1 This action sets the UV5r to display large channel numbers and not Frequencies in the UPPER Register. If you wish to see frequencies displayed with small channel indicators against them, skip this item.

Press MENU button, and use up/down arrows alongside to select Menu item 21 MDF-A. Press Menu button to move selector indicator down arrow to the lower menu sub-item. Use the up down arrow to toggle through NAME FREQ and CH. With NAME displayed press the Menu button once again.

2.2 This action sets the UV5r to display large channel numbers and not Frequencies in the LOWER Register. If you wish to see frequencies displayed with small channel indicators against them, skip this item.

Press MENU button, and use up/down arrows alongside to select Menu item 22MDF-B. Press Menu button to move selector indicator down arrow to the lower menu sub-item. Use the up down arrow to toggle through NAME FREQ and CH. With NAME displayed press the Menu button once again.

2.3 Press MENU button, and use up/down arrows alongside to select Menu item 5 WN. Press Menu button to move selector indicator down arrow to the lower menu sub-item. Use the up down arrow to toggle through WIDE and NARR. With NARR displayed press the Menu button once again.

After 10 seconds the radio will return to frequency display. A small N should be showing to the right of the + on the very top line of the display

For info: This selects Narrow transmission mode to minimise cross-talk with adjacent frequencies and channels.

2.4 Press Blue A/B button to display the UP-ARROW alongside the UPPER frequency display

2.5 using the keypad enter 145.500 The upper display should now show the frequency 145.500.

2.6 Press MENU button, and use up/down arrows alongside to select Menu item 27 MEM-CH. Press Menu button to move selector indicator down arrow to the lower menu sub-item. Use the up down arrow or keypad to select CH-020. Press the Menu button once again.

For info: The Ham 2metre calling channel is now saved as Channel 20 in the UV5R’s memory.

2.7 using the keypad enter 446.006 The upper display should now show the frequency 446.00625 with the final two digits being displayed in small characters under the Battery status icon.

2.8 Press MENU button, and use up/down arrows alongside to select Menu item 27 MEM-CH. Press Menu button to move selector indicator down arrow to the lower menu sub-item. Use the up down arrow or keypad to select CH-001. Press the Menu button once again.

For info: PMR Channel 1 is now saved as Channel 1 in the UV5R’s memory.

3.Using the channels:

3.1 Press the orange VFO/MR BUTTON
The display will change to show CH-001 on the upper register and CH-020 on the lower register

3.2 CH-001 is PMR446 Ch1 and CH-020 is Ham 2 meter calling channel. This configuration complies with the proposed programming protocols that are suggested for use by UK prepper communities and which are available to download on the SUK site download section.

3.3 Press the Blue A/B button to toggle between the two frequencies, activating receive and transmit on the one you desire

3.4 Using the up and down arrows you can select whichever programmed channel you prefer in upper and lower registers

3.5 So why does the UV5r have two frequency registers?
This is for two uses.
Firstly to keep two favourite frequencies immediately available.
Secondly, the UV5r is capable of monitoring two separate frequencies at the same time. This is called Dual-Standby. It consumes more battery power than single frequency receive but is a useful feature when wanting to communicate with stations on one programmed channel, while keeping an ear open for activity on a separate channel

3.6.1 To activate the Dual-Standby feature:

Press MENU button, and use up/down arrows alongside to select Menu item 7 TDR. Press Menu button to move selector indicator down arrow to the lower menu sub-item. Use the up down arrow to toggle through ON and OFF. With ON displayed press the Menu button once again.

To disable Dual Standby repeat this step selecting OFF on the sub-menu.

4.TEST:
Use the Blue A/B selector to move the selector icon to CH1

Using a standard PMR446, make a transmission on Ch01. The UV5r should receive this clearly.

5.More monitoring frequencies:
The rest of the PMR446 channels are:-
PMR446 CH 01 446.00625
PMR446 CH 02 446.01875
PMR446 CH 03 446.03125
PMR446 CH 04 446.04375
PMR446 CH 05 446.05625
PMR446 CH 06 446.06875
PMR446 CH 07 446.08125
PMR446 CH 08 446.09375

end
LS, thank you for this and your other comms posts of today. I understand not one whit of it but there will come a time when I'm ready for it and thanks to your efforts, I'll know where to find it and what to do then. You've obviously put some considerable thought and effort into preparing these so for now, I'll remain appreciative, if not involved...
Thanks GG

We had to go through the process of figuring out how these radios work for ourselves, so I documented it.

The idea is to share the documentation as a reference for others going down the same path at a later date.

Cheers

LS
Thanks LS,... this has been saved
Thanks LS

I'm not look into this yet due to all the other things I need to arrange but there will come a day that I will be look into comms a bit more and info like this will be invaluable

thanks again
Thanks for this information!

I have a UV5R+, loaded the pre and post SHTF files that I downloaded from here and stuck it in my faraday cage. Unfortunately, I'm yet to find the time to go through the license books and to actually learn how to use the thing, but I am sure this information will prove to be invaluable, so thanks again!
Good point Liveitup

Well done for getting the programming uploaded.

A tip: When putting your radio into storage, its a good idea to either remove the battery or to put plastic between the battery contacts and those on the radio. This prevents any possible discharge of the battery through the radio's circuits, some of which consume power even when the radio is turned off, and means that the battery will stay charged for longer. But the battery will naturally discharge anyway and its good practice to recharge it every 3 months or so.

The manual supplied with the radio is almost useless, and certainly will not give you any instruction on how to operate the thing..

If I can find the time, next week I'll try to put together an "How-to guide on operating" Hopefully this will get you started.
I've just ordered a pair from Amazon.

I hope that this is the blonde guide I've been looking for :-)
(22 September 2013, 16:06)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]I've just ordered a pair from Amazon.

Probably not RS,.. the instructions to these VR5`s, are very complicated even to some experienced guys

....but, they are a good buy
(22 September 2013, 16:06)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]I've just ordered a pair from Amazon.

Hi RS,

I wrote the guide to walk though initial setup for a complete beginner.

Suggest you print it off and tick off each step of the way.

Try to understand each step as you go.

Good luck

LS
Pages: 1 2