Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Useful Vaccinations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know not everyone trusts vaccinations, but post-SHTF I think there'll be a lot more nasties about than there are now - including a few we think we've eradicated. Once the clean water supply goes, for instance, it'll probably be only weeks before cholera and typhoid are back.

They'll be harder to treat too - especially as the most important part of cholera treatment is still drinking gallons of clean fresh water to sluice the bacteria through. Many strains are becoming resistant to antibiotics, and if we get cholera now we'll have no more chance than people did in the 1850s - ie very little.

So I'm prepping by getting innoculated against as much as I can. TB and tetanus we've already discussed on another thread, but good news is that both the cholera and typhoid vaccines can be had FREE from your GP if you're travelling to Asia. So can Hepatitis A. I've already had that one, but I've just booked myself in for the others.

Others cost money, but I've already had the rabies jab and plan to top that one up later this year. I know it sounds ridiculous, but we don't know what form SHTF is going to take, and if it's a gradual process with a massive influx of refugees then we won't be able to count on border controls as we have in the past. One little boat with some idiot bringing their dog is all it would take to let rabies loose here, and it's NOT something I want to risk. There'll be a ton of cats and dogs wandering wild after SHTF, to say nothing of the bats and foxes, and all the survival skills in the world won't protect against a rabies bite.

I guess I'm just saying - think about it. I certainly am.
filter ALL water post shtf without exception, there are many filter bottles on the market, then boil it just to be safe before you drink it.
I've had to have the vaccinations for travel to India etc, and very glad to have them, catching a disease in the tropics is not a good idea.
Filtering won't take out cholera, BP.

Boiling will, and you're right that we should boil all our water, but with fuel scarce it could be horribly easy to get careless. We'd need to boil not only the water we wash our fruit and veg in but also the water for washing everything else. It sounds good in theory, but when you draw water from a reservoir you're going to get some on your hands - are you going to stop and boil your water (touching the pot with your contaminated hands) in order to wash before you carry away what's left? One drop of contaminated water on your hand, one brush of your hand against your mouth, and that could be all it takes.

Put it this way - I know you're right, but if there's another precaution I can take for no cost then I'm definitely going to do it.
(29 July 2013, 09:42)Little Lou Wrote: [ -> ]Filtering won't take out cholera, BP.

Boiling will, and you're right that we should boil all our water, but with fuel scarce it could be horribly easy to get careless. We'd need to boil not only the water we wash our fruit and veg in but also the water for washing everything else. It sounds good in theory, but when you draw water from a reservoir you're going to get some on your hands - are you going to stop and boil your water (touching the pot with your contaminated hands) in order to wash before you carry away what's left? One drop of contaminated water on your hand, one brush of your hand against your mouth, and that could be all it takes.

Put it this way - I know you're right, but if there's another precaution I can take for no cost then I'm definitely going to do it.

I have a stock of disposable gloves as well as face masks, these will be mandatory post shtf, as will skin to be covered at all times.

I don't trust vaccinations, I heard they put swine flu vaccine in the flu jab without telling anyone. I don't trust TPTB now never mind after TSHTF.
BP, The swine flu vaccine is made from Star Anise which is used in Chinese Traditional Medicine. To use it instead of the Vaccine, you will need to use cooling herbs along with it. Star Anise raises the heat of the body. This used alone could push the body temperature too high thus killing the patient. However, using it with cooling herbs will prevent over heating and should bring about a cure. Kenneth Eames.
(29 July 2013, 09:48)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(29 July 2013, 09:42)Little Lou Wrote: [ -> ]Filtering won't take out cholera, BP

I have a stock of disposable gloves as well as face masks, these will be mandatory post shtf, as will skin to be covered at all times.

I don't trust vaccinations, I heard they put swine flu vaccine in the flu jab without telling anyone. I don't trust TPTB now never mind after TSHTF.

I dont trust vaccinations either. A few years ago my sister and her daughter contracted swine flu on their way home from a Turkish holiday. My sister got the swine flu jag but her daughter didnt. Over the next 2 years my sister developed all sorts of health problems from pneumonia, shingles, chickenpox, gangloin, tooth infection resulting in surgery. All in she had 10 months off work. Another person I know took quite a few things too but not as bad as my sister. Her daughter had a quick recovery needless to say without any intervention. So doubtful these days about what actually goes in these vaccinations. I also think that being vaccinated as Little Lou does might not have the greatest benefits as environments differ from country to country and it might be a different strain altogether.
every winter when the flu season comes along it always seems to be a different strain to the one before so you don't get a build up of immunity. I think the best way, if you can, is just to stay away from other people as much as possible when the outbreak occurs, that's what I do.
I am not sure about vaccinations either, the deceases that have been mentioned were dealt with to a certain degree before vaccinations were common place, once it was realised that cleanliness and certain hygienic practices were endeared to the problem became more manageable.

I think that would become the way forward, I dont think it would be very long before we were doing things like washing carefully, and boiling water etc as a habit

.... but having said all this,... again it will depend on so many other factors, where does your water come from?, how many in the population?, what is likely to contaminate your water?, is it free running?,..whats your rainfall amount to?
Tetanus.
Pages: 1 2