Survival UK Forums

Full Version: can you ride a horse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
can you ride a horse ,i cant but if things go tu we may have no choice i wouldent have a clue and lessons are costly .
any ideas
I could when I was about 20 years old, I fancied the horses owner,... sadly she had me mucking out more times than dating,..so I haven't tried since
Again, I did about... Ooooh25 years ago. Rode either cousins horse or some sort of pony at a stables nearby.

I am assuming I could sit on one and steer, but not jump,or navigate off road etc on one now. Plus I hate them. (Well hates a strong word, they are fun to pet. But something that big is doing what it wants when it gets spooked. Also I get stuck behind them for ages on the way to work on a late shift)
you might have to plough a field or two as well
not looking to ride a horse, more thinking about pack horses(mules, donkeys) or maybe finding a small trap, also things like tree logging and maybe ploughing.
Could always make them into burgers like tesco did Smile

Apologies. Couldn't resist. I tried. Honestly
unless we can turn oil into petrol ,get it here from the middle east or north sea horses will be worth more than burger meat .
post collapse the only form of transport will be horses, ponies, donkeys, bicycles or "shanks pony"!Big Grin
Horses will definately become valuable assets after TSHTF in conjunction with motor vehicles running on ethanol, bio diesel or gas like LPG. Horses are more likely I think to be used to pull landaus, carriages, carts and trailers raher than transporting individuals on horseback primarily because there wont be enough horses or tackle to go around for a long time. They can also be used to pull carriages along railway lines and barges along canals

Once numbers of plough horses and fell horses goes up it will aleviate the food producing problems cos they can be used to pull ploughs , water wheels, mill wheels etc as well.

After TSHTF I'm guessing that most horses will be used for farming and cargo movements and few will be available for personal transport until the numbers go up, and this could be a problem because many a sheeple is likely to kill and eat a horse if they come across it after fleeing starvation in the cities.

As Mike Loades reported on last nights GOING MEDIEVIL certain types of pony are going to become very popular for long distance mounted travel especially a type of pony that walks in a style called Ambling rather than walking, trotting, cantering or galloping, this type of ponys pace is very smooth and the rider does not bob up and down in the saddle as happens with other types of equinne.

I dont think the pedigree arabians and other highly strung horses will last long after TSHTF they wont be tough enough or hardy enough, ponies of the type so popular with gypsey travellers are likely to be the most useful and reliable.
most of your riding horses wont last long as they are highly strung and also when you see some of the scraps of land they laughingly call "pony paddocks" with little or no food in them then the horses wont last long, I saw some ponies on the "RSPCA RESCUE" programme last night and it seems a lot of people don't have a clue about keeping animals...not just horses!
Pages: 1 2 3