Survival UK Forums

Full Version: HF Net Anyone??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This morning we ran an un-planned emergency coms simulation.

Objective was to determine if our comms preps would support nationwide communication by voice using low powered, low profile, simple equipment, run from a rechargable power source*.

The test was a success. Completely unscheduled contacts were made with random stations across the country, including South coast, Channel islands, Scottish West Coast, Wales, East Anglia and Midlands.

We're going to keep the antenna deployed and will be testing it most days over the next 3 months to see how long the set-up will stay functional without maintenance. During this time, if any other SUK hams wish to arrange an individual Sked, or even a group Sked, please PM me to show your interest? (For Opsec, I don't want to set up Skeds on open forum to protect Callsign details)

*Equipment used was : HF transceiver running 10w, 12v solar charged power pack, 20ish foot long end-fed random wire deployed from a downstairs fanlight window into a nearby tree, and homebrew ATU
I sometimes wish I had half an idea what you're on about in these posts - sometimes. Smile It's pretty low on my priorities though. It does sound like congratulations are in order though. Better than your expectations?
Sounds good. We just need the same for non hams. Whisles innocently.
(6 August 2013, 16:04)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: [ -> ]....... Better than your expectations?

Hi GG.

Sorry the thread was aimed at Hams so language was a little techy.

The test was to see if the simple radio gear in my preps would work for country-wide communications, and to test them in a fairly realistic way.

Basically I used a car radio-sized transmitter that runs on 12v, a solar charged 12v power pack, and a random length of thin wire (as opposed to something cut to a specific length) The whole lot fits in a shoe box in my store.

Was it better than my expectations? Absolutely yes. Antennas are everything in radio and I was not expecting miracles. This little system completely met my objective for covert, low powered easily deployed country-wide coverage. OK some of the contacts were hard work, but they were succesful and that's the point of the exercise.

(6 August 2013, 16:39)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds good. We just need the same for non hams. Whisles innocently.

The same equipment is already available to non-hams, only its not currently legal to experiment transmitting with it without a license.

The hope is that a number of licensed Hams on here can establish reliable country wide communications, then we will be able to advise SUK in detail what equipment is needed and how to operate it.

By the way, two of the stations I contacted this morning were Foundation license holders...This is the very simplest amateur radio certification and is pretty much passable by anyone.(often just a weekend course) The point is that these were inexperienced operators, using equally low powered radios to my own, and we were able to communicate over hundreds of miles.
Lightspeed, PM me with a time in UTC and frequency and we'll give it a try. I only run 100 watts though...

(6 August 2013, 16:39)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds good. We just need the same for non hams. Whisles innocently.

Sounds like someone needs to get to work on his ham license... (whistles "Dixie" innocently)
So, your both admitting failure already. Sigh.

I'm sure someone will work it out eventually.
(6 August 2013, 18:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]So, your both admitting failure already. Sigh.

I'm sure someone will work it out eventually.

Who said anything about defeat?

Jonas' 100w will easily make the trip.

Its my 10 w that will be more challenging.....but we've been 10-watting it to Australia recently, so USA is really not such a big challenge Tongue

I even heard a Frenchman talkiung to Sidney Australia on his 12w CB radio this morning
Ok I wouldn't mind picking this up.

Equipment used was : HF transceiver running 10w,

Which transceiver would you recommend to run 10w or upwards?

12v solar charged power pack,

Homemade or purchased?

20ish foot long end-fed random wire deployed from a downstairs fanlight window into a nearby tree,

Yeah I understood that one

and homebrew ATU

Sorry whats an ATU

I wouldn't mind studying for the foundation to start off with

Allons-y
Love to. Busy this week, but maybe we can set something up next week? Need to get the kit out and set it up.

73s

2m0BBS
(6 August 2013, 19:34)Tarrel Wrote: [ -> ]Love to. Busy this week, but maybe we can set something up next week? Need to get the kit out and set it up.

73s

2m0BBS

Perfect Tarrel I hoped you'd come on board...you are kind of strategically placed.

Next week is absolutely fine. I'll be testing daily for the next three months in any case.

Thanks
Pages: 1 2