Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Dartmoor Wild Camp Write-up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, back alive, well and kicking.

As BP and Beardyman have already mentioned, the turnout was good and weather was merciful for us all.

Mrs Scythe13 and myself managed to be 1 hour late, no thanks to Mrs Scythe13 for that one. But these things happen. We apologise to everyone for our lateness. The journey did involve a dog vomiting over the back seats of the car, so we did have to drive like super old people!!! BM got waves ahead of us on the way back, because I didn't want to annoy him by driving like an old man. Dog sick is not a good look in a car.

Speaking of dogs...we apologise about them too. One of McCavity's friends took a regular beating from a couple of hyper puppies, and more than one basha was used as a ladder up a wall, or as a slide on the way back down. Guys....sorry about that. For 6 months old, they were pretty good, but still not as well behaved as plants.

Okay, so, on with the event. After turning up at 1pm, an hour late, we were met with ZZ-Top, and crew. There was a total of 9 people and 2 dogs at the car park. I looked around and thought, damn I feel unprepared. Everyone had huge military backpacks and the alike, and there's me with my ultra lite camping stuff. Well, it turns out that a wife is a MAJOR hinderance towards camping checks (more on this later). After we all met up, we headed over to Hound Tor. Just beyond there is a ruined medieval village. Lovely place to camp, especially considering it's meant to be haunted. So, we set off up the hill.

McCavity and a couple of others had parked MILES AWAY and walked over to the meeting car park. Working on their fitness. Great effort lads. You impressed me and the wife for sure. So the walk up to Hound Tor became more of a meander. BP and Mrs BP relaxing and enjoying the view...and puppies. So that was cool. After a while I think they got bored, or they may have spotted some really dark clouds, and decided it best to set back to the car. I think they made the right decision. We'd just like to say "Thank you BP and Mrs BP for coming along to meet everyone. Very cool of you to do so."

When we did finally get to the destination, we sat back, relaxed and chatted for a while about basic prepper stuff, events we expected, and the alike. Brilliant conversation and gave a great perspective on where everyone was at. No Tin Foil Hat Brigade present, so conversation was pretty chilled from then on.

Went over some basic prepping skills, e.g. anatomy of a knife, and some other small things, but the mood in the camp was pretty chilled out, and going into anything more intense would not be much fun. I think most people were using the meet as a way to get to know other people, and as a way to test their kits and see what other equipment was being used and what was more effective.

No questions about it, I was the least organised person there!!! It was our first camping trip with the dogs, and the first time I'd been camping with the wife. Turns out she's not as much a fan of checking everything a week or 2 ahead of schedule. So, I ended up having to make 3 trips from the site to the car, and back to the site. Not ideal...or even good. Thank F I have a spare set of tent poles in the car, that's all I'm saying about how organised I was!!! Truly embarrassing.

Anyway, the weather didn't threaten us too much, even though the forecast was diabolical. But, as usual, everyone survived, and we all had a relaxing good trip.

Come the morning, everyone needed to set off early, as we had a fair bit to do.

We have arranged for a second trip to take place, it will be much more of a night out, and then orienteering as a way to try out our GHB's and go over map reading, with or without compasses. Test your equipment, and only through testing will you refine and realise what you really need.

A huge thank you to all who attended, especially Falcon, who travelled from London, all the way out! Maximum respect for that.

Apologies for my lack of organisation and the riotous, looting, puppies.

Oh and a final thank you to Beardyman for giving the puppies, who get travel sick, a stack of biscuits! Great plan mate.....we used to be friends!!! haha. I'm kidding, it's all good!

Next trip will be immense!!! Really looking forward to it. Got to sort out times and dates, but we'll definitely be doing it.

Thank you all for attending, and well done McCavity for organising a very successful trip.
(11 August 2013, 13:22)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh and a final thank you to Beardyman for giving the puppies, who get travel sick, a stack of biscuits! Great plan mate.....we used to be friends!!! haha. I'm kidding, it's all good!

Hahaha, they did kind of help themselves in all fairness!

Good meet, I appear to have gotten slightly sunburnt somehow - I don't remember it being that sunny though??
glad you all had a good time and the weather was kind to you.Scythe I did say on the thread and I said to BM on the day, you probably didn't hear as you were an hour late,I said we were only going to pop in and say hello to everyone as we were getting up at 6AM this morning to go to Cheddar Market, the reason we didn't clamber up the TOR with the rest of you is that Mrs.BP was unable to do so as she has had a hip replacement!hence the walking pole she was using. I would have liked to have gone with you but as the oldest of you has about 20 years on me and the youngest 40 years I would probably have held you all up waiting for Grandad!!Big Grin
TheFalcon just landed back in londonistan and is knackered and sunburned
Was really good meeting you all
(11 August 2013, 16:43)TheFalcon Wrote: [ -> ]TheFalcon just landed back in londonistan and is knackered and sunburned
Was really good meeting you all

OH says the whole lot of you should have 10 out of 10 for effort!!
Sounds like a good meet guys. Keep it up.
best attended RV I've been to in 4 years!!Big Grin
[Image: gb0aohna5]
TheFalcon
[Image: z5rjih9b5]
MCavity,Nephew and Beadyman
[Image: lhygk3i4x]
S13 and OH and dogs,And MikeA

Pics of tents and tarps not working

[attachment=194][attachment=193][attachment=192]
Glad you all had a good time guys, looks like a nice spot you choose,... now keep the group going and build on it
(11 August 2013, 16:15)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]glad you all had a good time and the weather was kind to you.Scythe I did say on the thread and I said to BM on the day, you probably didn't hear as you were an hour late,I said we were only going to pop in and say hello to everyone as we were getting up at 6AM this morning to go to Cheddar Market, the reason we didn't clamber up the TOR with the rest of you is that Mrs.BP was unable to do so as she has had a hip replacement!hence the walking pole she was using. I would have liked to have gone with you but as the oldest of you has about 20 years on me and the youngest 40 years I would probably have held you all up waiting for Grandad!!Big Grin

That's cool GBP (Grandad Big Paul), we're glad you both came over. I remember you saying you might pop down. Just impressed and appreciative that you did. You would have out paced everyone but the puppies and MikeA. Terrain is always going to be tough on Dartmoor. Slow and steady really does win the race.
Pages: 1 2