Survival UK Forums

Full Version: GO to a museum....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just as a bit of a side note, if you have one near you, or not it'd be worth the travel to a local or city museum.

My local museum has a wide variety of primitive weapons, clothing from the American plains Indians etc.

Also tools and weapons from prehistory onwards.

Why am I telling you this?

Well for example, even though you may have an idea of what a flint arrow head looks like from tv or pictures, seeing stuff in the flesh so to say gives you a new perspective on how the thing should look once youve tried making it.

As an example I looked at some flint arrow heads at my museum, now whilst I thought they were small anyway, they were in fact relatively tiny.

So you might say.

This gave me the idea of what size I should be aiming for if I were to make them myself.

Because truthfully my efforts before I had seen them would have been huge and as such I would have failed.

Failures not really an option during a survival situation is it.

Also there was a selection of skinning tools, spears etc...

All very useful stuff to take pictures of for your own knowledge bank.

The plains Indian clothing as well was a fascinating insight on how to make clothes from buckskin.

Theres a full bank of knowledge at the museum that we can learn much about primitive living and also survival skills.

Well worth a long drive or bus ride, make it a day out, dont take the kids if you fancy long looks at stuff, they run round like blue arsed flies....

As a side note, seeing things in the real world even if its behind glass is better than just reading about stuff.

Look long and hard at stuff there, you can see how it was made or if not what a water carrying jug should look like.

Probability is it wont look like the one you tried making.

I think knowing what something should look like is sometimes half the battle.

A bit like an apprentice ship if you like.
We went to the Coventry Motor Museum about a month ago.
Bonus is that it totally free folks.
Anyway they have all the motoring history from the very start upto the present day.
They have a blacksmiths shop with all the tools on the wall.
They also have the history of the WW11 bombings and what it was like to sit in an anderson shelter with a gas mask on.
Coventry was heavily bombed in WW11 due to all the engineering companies.
Its brings it home what it could be like if TSHF sitting in the shelter.

Well worth spending a few hours to have a walk around if your ever in the area.
Bloody good idea P1 so obvious that I never thought of it until last year , went to St Fagans welsh museum....picked up some great ideas ...and a great day out.
Also a good place to visit after the SHTF I would think
it does amaze me when we museums that as a species how we have progressed so fast.... scary
I had this idea about looting a museum when I took my 3 year old boy there's loads of stuff swords,bows a really good idea and most people won't have the mentality to check it out.
If Baghdad and Cairo (when they hoiked out Mubarak,) are anything to go by, there may be nothing left for those of us who might want to actually USE what they have. Museums will be next on the list after electrical goods shops for the Del boys looking to make a bob or two - a lot of valuable items in museums...
As it happens I have just visited the Natural History museum and the V&A museum in London.
we went to Washington DC recently and visited lots of museums. made me sad and angry.
this used to be where innovations and new manufacturing techniques were invented. - now we invent new hamburgers
used to be the land of the free- now a police state.