Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Chat room?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just an idea would it be a problem to open a chat room where we can discuss prepping and survival in real time?
Iv been on forums where they have a skype night before.
Not face to face, Just typing and it can be very constructive and lead to some great posts on the forum.
It has to be kept forum related or it just ends up in banter and off topic.
(14 August 2013, 18:30)BFG Central Wrote: [ -> ]Iv been on forums where they have a skype night before.
Not face to face, Just typing and it can be very constructive and lead to some great posts on the forum.
It has to be kept forum related or it just ends up in banter and off topic.

Thanks BFG that's the sort of thing I had in mind just typing giving, getting ideas maybe even getting friendly enough to arrange meets perhaps get some one to give a talk on bushcraft or something similar
I'd go with Belringo. Really easy to set up and open.

Only issue may be that some people will disagree, and I'd hate it to turn personal. But I like to think we're all above that sort of thing.
Scythe if I had any idea what your talking about I'd probably agree lol. If we get a room up and running then have plenty of admins and if someone gets personal give them a warning if they carry on kick them out for the night. If we can't get on in a chat room what chance do we have after tshtf?
I have seen this happen before, and the site became split down the middle, there were those who preferred the chat room, so never posted in the forums at all from that point on because they just talked instead of posting,.,..and there were those [ like myself ], who never went in the chat room

It ruined the forum completely,.. I would vote No
(14 August 2013, 20:03)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I have seen this happen before, and the site became split down the middle, there were those who preferred the chat room, so never posted in the forums at all from that point on because they just talked instead of posting,.,..and there were those [ like myself ], who never went in the chat room

I think i know where your talking about and that was not what was going on.
I was party to both side and it was a power struggle.

The skype chat actually made people talk/communicate more and friendships were made.
One party moved on gracefully.

The ones that were moaning about the chat (the mods) stepped down but that was later on and not for the same reason.
Those members still remain on the forum.
If they seem quiet its because they are doing there own thing.

All in all a grand total of 2 members left that forum.

Fall out are bound to happen especially because we as preppers/survivalists/homesteader who are strong minded people. (Not sheepeople)

But if you never went on the chat how do you know what was actually went on?

You only got the info second hand.

If anything the chat encouraged people and when things of importance and ideas were born those ideas were put straight onto the forum as posts.

I look at it this way, "When like minded people put there heads together great ideas are formed"

Different forums cover different types of topics.

Im new on here and i find it refreshing that we can talk openly about things that are not allowed or shunned on other forums.
I must say its a refreshing change.
(14 August 2013, 20:03)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I have seen this happen before, and the site became split down the middle, there were those who preferred the chat room, so never posted in the forums at all from that point on because they just talked instead of posting,.,..and there were those [ like myself ], who never went in the chat room

I would vote no for the above reasons.
But where I think a "chat" facility would help is with real time advice for members in difficulty whilst making something. For example someone might be making some arrows and needs help with assembly, in real time members could "walk" them through it, and be of assistance when needed.
The problem with chat rooms is that no record is kept. Sure you have helped someone configure that radio but nobody else can find out.

The main site is for putting information on. This forum is for discussing those articles. As it is people post on here but six months later nobody looks for what is there. that is why we have several threads repeating themselves on the forum.

I won't be setting up a chat room as part of the forum. However, I see a use as part of a local sub group. They need to talk among themselves.
(14 August 2013, 21:11)BFG Central Wrote: [ -> ]I think i know where your talking about and that was not what was going on.

I could bet a million that you have no idea what forum I mean, it wasnt any sort of prepper/survival/outdoor forums for sure...Big Grin
Pages: 1 2