Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Light proofing for windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was giving some thought to how i would hide the fact that i had electrical power if the SHTF and first i went down the route of black out curtains and heavy linings.
But i tried that on a window and no matter what i did, even the light from a head torch came through the gaps at the top.

So this got me looking for more options and after searching around i found something called white/black/white plastic sheeting.

They do make a black and white sheeting but some light gets through that.

Its actually sold for hydroponic growing to block and reflect light.

It comes in a 2 or 3 meter wide roles so it will cover almost any size window.
It would also double as window sheeting in the case of a pandemic.
Add an extra few roles of gaffer tape to seal around the windows and doors.

Has anyone else got any ideas on this?
The problem with blacked out windows, [ unless everyone else`s windows are blacked out] is that it draws attention to a place and makes people wonder why the windows are blacked out,.... I have wondered about it, and my thoughts are not to use rooms with windows at night.

Use the areas in the middle of the house, the passages between the rooms, or under the stairs, its easier to seal the light in there,... you could still have someone watch through the un blacken windows if needed, no-one would see him from outside,... whenever people need to go into your darkened space, turn the lights out for a second.

by using the inner space of the house, you also deaden any noise that has been made, noise from children or dropped items
I've got a few full sized boards of 1/2 ply to cover some windows but cos of cash shortages I've only got some aerosols of dark grey paint to spray onto the glass after TSHTF.
I was thinking about creating a seal over the top of the blinds and curtains of the curtains so from outside it looks normal.
The trouble is i have children and no matter how many times i tell them not to shine light near windows its bound to happen when you dont want it to.
(16 August 2013, 20:37)BFG Central Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking about creating a seal over the top of the blinds and curtains of the curtains so from outside it looks normal.
The trouble is i have children and no matter how many times i tell them not to shine light near windows its bound to happen when you dont want it to.

This is one reason why retreating to the inner part of the house makes more sense, to me at least,... its very difficult to control children normally, let alone after the shtf, when they will be bored/tired.

If need be we will take up the inner part of the house plan, and there are only two of us, its a lot easier to hang a small rug over a closed door that will seal all light, and yet is simply moved aside when you want to go through the door,.. remember that you will be doing very little after dark anyway
Rising and sleeping with the sun helps too. Unless your on guard etc. Could always retreat to the loft as well.
I always reckoned that comes SHTF we(self and OH) will be rising with the sun/dawn and going to bed when it gets dark, not bothered about time and clocks and stuff because I reckon we will get into a natural cycle of doing stuff.

EARLY morning is the best part of the day.
why not just get black out curtains or binds