Survival UK Forums

Full Version: found this site is a bussiness but is interesting nonetheless...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gives you an idea of how much a steel sheet shutter for doors and windows can withstand in a practical experiment.
http://preppersafehomes.co.uk/

even though we may not buy from these or may depending on price I suppose, It gives you an idea of what we may require if bugging in.

These or similar shutter systems in addition to the "DD" sprayed on the front
"derelict dwelling" may help divert attention during times of strife.

I reproduced some information off their site as its quite interesting and relevant to prepping, though maybe S.D. will disagree.... who knows the whims of the master....

What Is A Prepper?

“The commander must decide how he will fight the battle – before it begins.
— Viscount Montgomery of Alamein

Did you know that the word ‘prepper’ does not appear in any online dictionary or thesaurus? Even though thousands of people a day are typing the word into Google, the word ‘prepper’ still had no agreed or ‘official’ definition. After looking at many prepper websites, I would suggest the following be considered:

A prepper is someone who has taken an honest good look at the society that they are living in.
A prepper is someone who has looked at the apparent direction that their society is going in, and has come to the conclusion that their life, their loved ones lives, and their possessions may be in danger through some form conflict, civil unrest or other disaster.
A prepper is someone who has decided to take personal responsibility for the safety and protection of their own life, the lives of their loved ones, and their possessions.

A prepper is someone who takes positive steps in preparation for something that may happen. You may have already made preparations for some of the negative events that may happen to you or your family.

Looking at it like this, you will see that we are all preppers in one way or another; after all, it makes sense. If you have life insurance, you are a prepper. If you have home insurance, you are a prepper. If you have medical insurance, you are already a prepper.

So, what’s all this talk about some form of conflict, civil unrest or other disaster?

Are one or more of these things likely to happen?

Well, your government thinks so.

They already have procedures in place for almost every conceivable negative event. The bunkers are made. The ration books are printed. The army is equipped and prepared. The whole of government from top to bottom has thought it through and spent your tax money on very expensive preparations.

Why?

Because it makes good sense. It is their duty to protect the assets of the country. Now for whatever reason, be it lack of money, a lack of will or the sheer scale of the task, they have decided that they cannot protect the vast majority of the population.

This means you and your family are going to be unprotected.

This means you are going to have to
a) do nothing
b) take action now and protect your own life, protect your loved ones lives and protect your possessions.

Follow the simple advice given on this website. Hopefully you will never need to use the preparations and strategies outlined on this site. But it is better to be safe than sorry.

Albert Einstein is renowned as one of the world’s greatest thinkers.
Many say he was a genius.
Yet, Albert Einstein was a prepper.
He saw what was going on in Germany in the early 1930s.
He saw what he didn’t want to see, yet he had courage and he thought it through. He realised that he may end up in a concentration camp, years before the Nazis began exterminating the Jewish people. So he took action. He fled to America, to safety, in 1932.

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. “ – Albert Einstein
You do not need to flee your country, but now is the time for you to think – and to take action to protect yourself and your loved ones. Take action now. Follow the simple advice given on this site and have the peace of mind knowing that you have taken the few simple steps that may save your life and the lives of your family.

Before it is too late.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” – Benjamin Franklin

Food

As mentioned in the article on water, you have to take several things into consideration when deciding what food or water to store. These include:

How many of you will staying be in your home? You, family, parents, neighbours, etc
How much storage space do you have?
Special dietary requirements, eg; diabetic, vegetarian, infants, etc
How much can you afford to buy?
What type of emergency is it? Civil Rioting, Nuclear, Biological, War, etc
What cooking facilities do you have? Gas, electric, wood stove, none, etc
How long is the emergency likely to last?

The food you need to store needs to have a long shelf life, so fresh fruit and vegetables are not suitable for storage.
However you can store:

food in tins
food in plastic containers (that have a long shelf life)
dehydrated food
dried food of all types including ready meals, nuts, dried fruit, pasta, rice, grains, pulses, dried vegetables, dried fruit, dried milk, teas, coffee, sugar, cooking oils, herbs, spices, and much more.

If you do buy dried food, remember that you are using up valuable water to rehydrate the food. Plus it may need to be cooked, which may use up valuable cooking energy supplies.

If need be, tinned food can be eaten cold, without any additional water. (Make sure you store at least three tin openers with the food).

It might be wise to go to your supermarket or wholesaler, like Costco, and buy in bulk. Remember, you will need at least six months’ supply of food. Make sure you buy carbohydrates, proteins and fats.

It is also a good idea to buy at least six months’ supply of a multivitamin for each of you.

There are many companies that sell emergency food supplies, including ready meals in foil pouches, just like astronauts eat for weeks on end. This food is usually of excellent quality and a full list of these suppliers is available in the resources section.

Water

The idea of this site is not to sell or suggest to you what food and water to buy. (Though there is a list of useful websites that sell emergency food supplies in the resource section) Rather, it is to get you to think about what you and your family would need in an emergency situation.

The things to think about include;

How many of you will staying be in your home? You, family, parents, neighbours, etc
How much storage space do you have?
Special dietary requirements, eg; diabetic, vegetarian, infants, etc
What type of emergency is it? Civil Rioting, Nuclear, Biological, War, etc
What cooking facilities do you have? Gas, electric, wood stove, none, etc
How long is the emergency likely to last?

There are probably lots of other things to take into consideration, but the above will cover the basics.

First things first.

Water.

In the event of an emergency, you cannot assume that you will have electric, gas or water supplied to your home. The water supply to many homes will fail if the electricity goes off, so be prepared. Humans can live for weeks without food, but only a few days without water.

You need to store half a gallon per person per day for drinking only. But by the time you have brushed your teeth, rinsed your plate, or washed your face – you will need to store a gallon per person per day. This may sound a lot but it is the bare minimum.

The amount of water that you store will depend on how many of you are staying in your home and how long the situation will last. As no one knows now how long the situation will last, I would suggest that you store enough water for 6 months.

If you do not have the storage space, then store enough for one month minimum.

So to calculate your water storage requirements:

180 (the number of days in 6 months) x the number of people = number of gallons needed

Eg; Water for 4 people

180 x 4 = 720 gallons

There are many types of storage containers for water. You can go onto ebay and choose which containers best suit your needs. There are even plastic collapsible water containers which can be stored flat and empty. These take up much less space but are completely useless if a fast situation arises and you lose your water supply.

Whatever type of container that you choose to use, remember that the container needs to be very clean inside.

You can also get water sterilising tablets off ebay. These can be used to sterilise dirty water, if you run out out clean water. These tablets do not get rid of radiation and cannot be guaranteed to kill all biological contaminants.

As a bare minimum, you could store one month’s water supply now and keep empty flat containers ready to be filled at a moment’s notice of an emergency. The choice is yours. If you have the space now, use it.

You can also use water filters. These are covered in a separate article.

Heres a bit of bumf about thereproduct as a thank you for letting me nick bits of their site...

FAQs – Prepper Information

Question One: What is the ‘InstaShield’?

Answer: The ‘InstaShield’ system consists of made to measure, steel plates that are fitted over all the windows of your home. Your door frames are fitted with a virtually impenetrable steel covers. Once the whole house has been protected, each shield is then permanently marked for future identification, ie; Kitchen Window One. The plates are then removed and stored at your premises. Should a civil unrest or war situation arise, you can fit the shields back in position, quickly and easily.
Question Two: What are the shields made of?

Answer: The shields are made of high grade steel, which has been galvanised with zinc to protect against corrosion. The shields are available in various thicknesses, though we recommend 1.2mm in most cases, as this gauge has proven to be very resistant to attack, yet light enough to easily and quickly fit.
Question Three: Can you explain the whole process of fitting the ‘InstaShield system to my home in simple steps?

Answer: It is simple.

First you book an appointment for one of our team to come to your premises and carry out a full survey of your premises. This includes measuring every window and door, and also includes any special requirements that you may have. We will then give you a firm price to install the ‘InstaShield’ system. The cost of this survey is £200 and is fully refundable against the ‘InstaShield’.
We manufacture the steel plates and doors and deliver them to your home.
At a mutually convenient time, we install the ‘InstaShield’ to your home. We advise that you or a member of your family is present so that you can see how easy the shields are to fit.
Once each shield has been fitted to your windows and doors, we permanently mark each shield so that you will know which shield fits on which window or door.
We remove the ‘InstaShield’ and store it in your garage, garden or anywhere else that you would like.
We leave you with all the shields, the tamper-proof bolts, three screwdrivers that fit the tamper-proof bolts, packs of gloves to protect your hands – and you are ready! That is all there is to it.

Question Four: Can the shields be removed by an intruder?

Answer: The shields are fitted with tamper-proof bolts. Only you will have the tools to remove the bolts. No standard screwdriver or spanner will fit the bolt heads, so intruders cannot remove the bolts. It would take a very long time for an intruder to remove the shields with a crowbar or sledgehammer. In the event of civil unrest, an intruder is highly unlikely to attempt the difficult job of breaking into your home, when they can simply kick your neighbour’s door in or climb through their windows.
Question Five: What if there is a fire or other emergency and we need to get out of the home immediately?

Answer: The ‘InstaShield’ door protectors are designed in such a way that they can be removed in about ten seconds. They are not bolted to the door or walls. They are held in place by just a few strategically placed steel rods, which even a child or infirm person could remove in seconds.
Question Six: Where do I store the ‘InstaShield’ system?

Answer: You can store the ‘InstaShield’ system’ anywhere you like on your property. Because the ‘InstaShield’ system’ is made of flat, zinc coated steel sheets that will not corrode, you can store then in your garden, garage or anywhere you like.
Question Seven: Will fitting the ‘InstaShield’ system’ damage my home in any way?

Answer: In order to fit the ‘InstaShield’ system, we will need to drill a series of small holes that are 6mm in diameter. (6mm is about the size of the letter characters that you are now reading). Whenever possible we DO NOT drill your window frames or door frames. We drill the surrounding brickwork or stonework. These tiny drill holes are so small that you cannot see them unless you are specifically looking for them.
Question Eight: How much does the ‘InstaShield’ system’ cost?

Answer: The price of the ‘InstaShield system’ varies depending on the type of property you are living in. We have installed ‘InstaShield’ systems’ for under £2000 for some smaller properties, and have fitted systems for almost £10,000, so it really does depend on the size of your property and the unique intricacies of your window and door openings.
Question Nine: Can the ‘InstaShield’ system be fitted to my commercial premises?

Answer: Yes. The ‘InstaShield’ system can be fitted to any premises. Some property management companies use the ‘InstaShield’ system to protect their empty commercial and domestic properties.
Question Ten: Can the ‘InstaShield’ system be used on my second home?

Answer: Several clients use the ‘InstaShield’ system to protect their second homes or holiday homes.
Question Eleven: How soon can I get the ‘InstaShield’ system fitted?

Answer: Once the survey has been carried out, it is normally about two weeks before the ‘InstaShield’ system is ready to fit.

Its not an advert for their site BUT I thought it only fair as I was ripping info off their site that I post a bit of their info, if nothing else the videos give us an idea of attack Resistance for the shielding as we have already discussed it previously but I dont know how many of us have tried to gain entry into a secured building.... I haven't for a start.....

The only thing I would add to this is that due to the flexibility of the steel sheet, if somebody attacked your doors or windows, the glass may break and be sprayed inside, even though the intruder may not be able to gain access.

Sticky backed plastic or tape like in the blitz of the second world war should be attached to your windows inside to stop injury from flying debris.

After all who wants glass splinters in their eye?
In answer to the video,.. these precautions always make me smile, we so often talk about how we will protect our home, we talk about shutters and planking, bricking up and disguising,.... yet a home made smoke bomb down the chimney makes them all useless

Dont forget the chimney when under attack..Smile
you might as well smash in a wall quicker

if the old bill arnt comeing just smash away
I would like to know how these fix to the walls and how they release when you need to take them off, Especially if there is a need to escape quickly.
For me these would be an option as you cant see my window and doors on the ground floor from the road.
You have to get over 8ft gates and past the rotties.
But to have a third line of defense would be great as long as i could escape quickly if required, I dont fancy jumping from a first floor window.
(18 August 2013, 18:50)Prepper1 Wrote: [ -> ]I reproduced some information off their site as its quite interesting and relevant to prepping, though maybe S.D. will disagree.... who knows the whims of the master....

Anyone who can read.

I have no hidden agendas with the site and the rules are simple.
Whoa there big fella... not meant in a nasty way just jokey.... oer missus......ConfusedConfusedConfused
Yes watchout P1, or you may get a call off the secret police......and could just disappear!!Undecided.........its "my way or the Highway" ...im only here for the gardening tips ! Wink

or worse !!! you may wake up one morning to find a "padlock" over your mouth ..!!! Ive just had the "thought Police here last night !! apparently id had "too much to think" AGAIN !! Smile