Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Oramorph
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have managed to get a hold of about a dozen viles of oramorph however they are a few years out of date. Does this matter?
(20 August 2013, 18:20)Mooski88 Wrote: [ -> ]I have managed to get a hold of about a dozen viles of oramorph however they are a few years out of date. Does this matter?
I'd be a bit canny I pretty sure they are a controlled drug, without good reason pocession may be illegal

Mongrel
I had a look and found this link, looks quite informative

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/aches-and-pai...morph.html
Its one of those items where you can say keep it anyway, Morphine is going to be hard to get hold of,.. so unless someone with more knowledge than me comes along and says `chuck it` I would store it

If ever a casualty needs morphine and its all you have you will be glad of it

(20 August 2013, 18:43)Madgirl151 Wrote: [ -> ]I had a look and found this link, looks quite informative

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/aches-and-pai...morph.html

That is informative,.. and nowhere does it say use before a certain age
The expiry date is always on the packaging. What you have may be a godsend if, after an event, you have someone in severe pain and I mean severe. On the other hand, if you know nothing about the strength of the morphine (it does come in different concentrations,) and know nothing about what dosage may be appropriate, you may kill the one you're trying to save.

I spent a number of years taking morphine for pain, in both time-release and in oramorph solution. The solution was for back-up when the regular dosage wasn't cutting it for any reason and it wasn't in ampoules - it was in a wee bottle that I was supposed to take a 5ml spoonful from but I ended up swigging it, guessing at the quantity. It worked, although I was a bit spaced out half the time! It dangerous stuff!

Point is, keep it by all means but keep it safe and hidden. Mongrel's right, it is a controlled drug and will be illegal to have unless you have a valid prescription for it. Personally, I'd hope someone was available in the time of need, who could prescribe it properly otherwise, well, who knows...

Oh! I'm sure I don't need to add this but - keep it well away from kids and show/tell no-one!
My wife used to be a medical rep. For reasons of legal origin, I think you should stop joking about having Oramorph, Mr Mooski. In fact, I think you should be honest and say "In the event that a person managed to get Oramorph...." Reason for this is that Oramorph is treated as a controlled drug over 90% of the time, thus possession can be (and frequently is) considered an illegal act.

For it being out of date, there can be some very serious side effects!

"Even if it is in date, a person should know all about the contraindications of the medication; there are many and varied serious issues that could arise with it's use!!!" - Mrs Scythe13
I'd echo the advice. It is controlled so yada yada yada

Keep it in a cool, dark place. doesn't need fridge but keep in a cool place nonetheless.

-
Ignoring the ownership of said illegal drug, if it is individual vials make sure it is for oral consumption as say giving oral medication into a vein can kill you alternatively iv drugs giving orally don't always have much effect
If you want opiate pain relief legally you can buy Co-codamol (codeine/ paracetamol) OTC. It's a low dose of codeine but easy to get and still effective. Also remember that if you are going to use any morphine products, you should take a couple paracetamol before because it helps amplify the pain relief.
Pages: 1 2