Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Sachet soup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know long I could store satchels of soup for? The ones that u add to boiling water. They come in plastic bags was wondering just how important best before actually is on this item.
I'm packing these in my BOB, but am experimenting with them now. Experiment is very simple. Buy a load now, don't use any for 2 years. Then one every 2 months until I get sick from one. Simple, but effective.

I'm guessing it'll be a good few years after the best before date.
Lol S13 - you are a health & safety nightmare Big Grin
That just it the best before are just that on alot of products. Health and safety. I work in a supermarket and I know tons of products that can last years past there best before dates
Health and WHAT?!?! McC, what is this mystical word I have never heard of?
cuppasoup last as long as that bag is intact. Nothing in there to go off, hardly full of natural ingredients Big Grin

I mean even if they're 3000 years out of date, the taste can't get any worse!
Exactly! They ain't going off. Probably shouldn't admit to it but swmbo keeps piles of these in,middle to top brands and lots of flavours. When being/ feeling lazy we bung them into pasta or casseroles, stews whatever as stock, pie mixes you name it.
We also keep them in day sacks for a brew on a cold walk.
In my preps I have #10 cans, about 4kg each, of " ABC Soup Mix" from The Freeze Dry Guy.
This soup mix contains a meat stock base, seasonings, dried vegetables, tomato and onion powder, etc. To prepare put 1 cup, about 250 grams, of the dry mix into a quart or liter of boiling water, stir and let steep for 5 minutes.

A full can makes 20 liters of soup to feed a platoon of 40 men, giving each man a canteen cup full of hot vegetable soup.

I carry dry soup mix in a wide mouth litre bottle in my kit, adding 125 grams, about 1/2 cup dry measure, to a pint or about 500ml of boiling water.

We keep this soup mix at home in the pantry and use it all the time, as it is more tasty, nutritious and less expensive than the common grocery store canned soups.

The shelf life of unopened #10 cans is 20+ years. Once opened, I transfer the unused portion into wide mouthed litre jars and while the dry mix does not require refrigeration, it is recommended that you use it up within 30 days. We eat alot if hot soup in the winter, so this is seldom a problem.
MCavity, after TSHTF there wont be any "Elf and safety"! people will just have to use their own judgement-gawd help us, if the behaviour of some people in the storms and flooding this last week is anything to go by!!!