Survival UK Forums

Full Version: In the news....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some nice stories in the news today that relate to prepping.

the first is a story about a small street community who joined together to create a small garden in an alley, Something that may happen post event during the re-build.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...enery.html

The second is a conversion of a train cart into a home which looks pretty cool.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...nwall.html

Just shows you can make a home anywhere
I would be happy to live in that
Seconded, looks very nice, they have done a good job on it. These are not a new thing however, they have been quite common for 100 years or so. When mineral rail lines in nice areas would close - think of some of the lines that ran on N Yorks moors, Yorkshire dales, lead mines Allendale way and a lot similar across the rest of the country, plus branches that were private for certain enterprises and factories - portions of land with land with rail on would be sold off to people who wanted to put cars on them to have as holiday homes.

It was only with full nationalisation in 1948 that the practice died down / out as a nationalised company could send men to pull up rail that could be recycled - although we were still steel rationing / shortages, they would have made more money and could have bought steel in by selling rail for people to put carriages on.

It would have had the added benefit of maintaining the track bed in a lot of areas, should it be decided that a line is needed in the area again.

Trains and buses lend themselves quite well to being used as accommodation.
Todays news about Fukushima and the 50% rise in TB cases in England give me more concern Smile
BCG was regularly given until 2005 I think. Anyone that grew up before it probably had it. I am generally wary of vaccination, but I will be getting my kid this when the time comes, if it is not back on the vaccination schedule.

We all know where the 50% of extra cases come from.
(21 August 2013, 22:52)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Todays news about Fukushima and the 50% rise in TB cases in England give me more concern Smile

haha Yes they are issues but this was just a step away from doom and gloom to highlight more cheerful prepper stuff Tongue

the garden ally could definitely be used for members in large towns and cities