Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Noob stove question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hopefully we are still running a policy that no question is too stupid to ask.
I'm looking to buy a small gas stove with a mother of a gas cylinder to get 2 or 3 months use if gas runs dry, as it nearly did last winter.

So if I buy this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0037...mpstove-21
with the regulator thingy that people are buying with it, will it hook to somthing like this gas cannister: http://www.calor.co.uk/shop/product/13kg...inder/825/

Am i good to go bar needing a match?
1) That is not a mother of all gas cylinders. It is one of the biggest for that gas type though.
2) You can get them cheaper than that. Gas is usually about £24 for that size. Calor change £30 for the cylinder. A, non Calor gas distributor near me sells that size cylinder for £30 only charging £6 for the cylinder itself. Once you have one refills as £24 and you swap containers. Of course Calor won't accept non Calor containers..
Thanks SD, I'm looking at some local suppliers now - just to confirm: that set up should work?
+1 for the above post, try caravan parks for the big badass cylinders at decent prices,

caravan parks with residential vans normally do bigger cylinders, and are reasonably priced

you don't even need the match with this cooker though, its a piezo spark ignition!

Oh and get a propane (red bottle reg) AND a butane regulator (blue bottle reg), post SHTF, if all you can scavenge is butane bottle, you are still good to go.

oh and stick with propane as much as poss, butane doesnt work in winter! (higher boiling point!)

and yeah it should work, try ebay for regulators

Sorry, me again lol add this http://www.amazon.co.uk/21mm-Butane-Regu...+regulator to your basket, only a fiver, but giving you an extra fuel source should you need it in an emergency!
def get both regulators that's what i've done and I run propane too as better in the cold but I know I can use butane if needed

also get spare hose too I've got at least a 2 m length of spare hose for my stove
Thanks for the help peeps Smile
3 months ago I could have given you 3 of the 13kg bottles for nowt. One was 75% full still...

Although that's probably not very helpful right now. Sorry!!
DOLT!!
They will work fine. Different gas burn differently though so take care with usage. My supplier sells the regulators with the bottles at about £10. You need a regulator for each different type. Stops you connecting the wrong bottles.
Off the top of my head different gasses work at lower temperatures.

I sure iv read somewhere that some stop working below freezing point and others carry on working.
Now you might stay that its to be used inside the house but will it be stored inside the house 365 days a year??
If its stored in a garage or shed then it could freeze.
Sods law says you will need this in the middle of the winter.
Dont forget to ventilate the room your using this in.

Im sure other forum members will know about this more.
Pages: 1 2