Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Just out of interest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just wondered reading through posts there seems to be a fair few people on here that have significant others, how did people broach the subject of prepping, to explain to their other half how and why, and how did you get them to 'go along' with it ?
Jus cos I'm fairly new to the prepping scene and haven't really discussed it in any great detail with the wife, and I'm not sure how to
You'll probably find that even family members will think you're a little nuts or OTT. You should already have a fair idea where people stand from voiced comments to news items/historical events etc. I reckon most of the populace prefer not to think of anything that would involve SHTF scenarios, it takes them way out of their comfort zones.

Basically, I just keep quiet now and get on with it.
easy with my other half we watched a few doomsday preppers and discussed the events that each were prepping and then what we thought about some of the people on the show

I then mentioned things that I was/am considering doing and why I thought they were important in terms of us prepping

not mentioned it to other family members yet thou
Personally, my wife is awesome about the whole thing...thankfully.

Initially I just got a load of extra tins and the alike, because of the harsh winter we were predicted. After that I started my 'Camping Bag', or BOB, for if something happened and we had to leave town/home.

After a while, conversatio. About doomsday nutters came up. This was ideal as it allowed me to create a neutral dialog of what people think may happen and what I deem my "I wouldn't be surprised if....[event]...happened" list. After that she was pretty cool about it all.

One of the main things that brought her round was a slow development and escallation. Camping bag is acceptable at any level. Having an underground nuke shelter...not so easily snuck into the 'levels of sane' acceptance.

Now I'm discussing sinking a storage container into the garden and using it 'mostly' as a wine cellar. She's not a huve fan of the idea, but is pretty open to dicussion.

The only recommendation is to allow her to see only your discussed preps, and use winter as an excuse. First up, talk heating, gas, cooking stoves, firewood, and extra food and water for when the snow hits. That's the simple base level common sense stuff. So let her see those things. Once she is used to that kind of thing, escalate. Bags in the car, for if she's cauvhg in a snow drift, etc.

When you can buy your wife a machete for her birthday, you're doing great!!!

Remember to tell her about your friend who went on that survival training course! He said it was awesome and recommended you try it out!!! It was so awesome, you want to teach ber some of the stuff.

One thing I forgot to mention, you'll need to factor age into the equation. A younger wife will usually be more open to 'adventures' and the alike. I know this isn't a blanket statement, but it is worth thinking about.

If you're younger, say it's a hobby that sounds awesome. Damn that Bear Grylls for influencing you. Or you loved The Bourne Identity and want to learn the skills.

If you're a bit older, milk the 'midlife crisis' angle.

Just don't spend a load of cash on it too soon, or she'll get angry...in my experience haha.
Didnt really need to my wife is quite astute and when NR junior was born she immediately demanded a move to a cleaner enironment with lower crime and more locally available fresh food, better schools etc.
Thankfully i have a wife who is in full agreement, who has been brought up in the countryside and lived part of her life off grid, who knows about plants and trees and animals, is a competent herbalist and gardener, and spent several years in the farming industry and went to agricultural college.
I'm in the same boat as Bonnox but maybe a few weeks ahead...brought it up a few times at relevant times(during the news/after an apocalypse genre film etc)and she finally said if you feel the need to do it then do it...it's not really a new thing in our house as theres always been an outward bound type vibe/camping/guns/usefull equipment being constantly bought.
Ephesians 5:2 Wrote:Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. (23)For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body

Colossians 3:1 Wrote:Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

Esther 1:2 Wrote:He sent dispatches to all parts of the kingdom, to each province in its own script and to each people in their own language, proclaiming that every man should be ruler over his own household, using his native tongue.

Because it says so in the bible.

If you are into the bible. We are not really.

My wife and I, we are both self reliant people. I believe it is important to choose your significant other based on matching personalities. It is just something we do, making sure we have enough for today and enough put by for tomorrow, plus enough to create what, or some of what we need in the future.

Don't just marry some one as you like their boobs, eventually the all go saggy. [/quote]
(25 August 2013, 16:15)BDG Wrote: [ -> ]
Ephesians 5:2 Wrote:Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. (23)For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body

Colossians 3:1 Wrote:Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

Esther 1:2 Wrote:He sent dispatches to all parts of the kingdom, to each province in its own script and to each people in their own language, proclaiming that every man should be ruler over his own household, using his native tongue.

Because it says so in the bible.

If you are into the bible. We are not really.

My wife and I, we are both self reliant people. I believe it is important to choose your significant other based on matching personalities. It is just something we do, making sure we have enough for today and enough put by for tomorrow, plus enough to create what, or some of what we need in the future.

Don't just marry some one as you like their boobs, eventually the all go saggy.
[/quote]

Dunno why we should have any trust in fictional books cept as studying scenarios.?
(24 August 2013, 21:09)Bonnox Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondered reading through posts there seems to be a fair few people on here that have significant others, how did people broach the subject of prepping, to explain to their other half how and why, and how did you get them to 'go along' with it ?
Jus cos I'm fairly new to the prepping scene and haven't really discussed it in any great detail with the wife, and I'm not sure how to

Can't really help you there, the missus is fine with me doing what I do. Just lie about how much everything costs and you'll be fine Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3