Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Food Storage Ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I've been giving some thought to Food Storage. There are numerous resources available including some lovely speadsheets that outline it all including what you need for 15 months.

On a different tack there is SELCO's one year in hell during his time in the former Yugoslavia. far more basic but an interesting read.

I've been looking at the use of 5 (US) gallon buckets. It's interesting that when I look at various Youtube videos etc, people seem to fill one bucket with the same thing, i.e. Rice, Wheat etc.

My way forward is to fill one 25 litre bucket with one months supplies for one person or 15 days supplies for 2 persons etc etc

I reckon that in one 25 litre bucket you can get as follows:

----- One Bucket for 2 persons x 15 days -----

Breakfast
15 x Oats Portions
15 x Measured portions of Cereals
2 x Tubs of Skimmed Milk Powder
1 x Jar of Jam

Mid Morning Snacks
30 x High Calorie Bar + Dried Fruit

Lunch
15 x Hearty Soup
Some form of Bread - I've found a source of tinned bread
A Protein shake maybe - see my recipe below

Afternoon Snack
30 x Snack Bar / Fruit

Evening meal
200g rice or pasta per meal per 2 persons
15 x canned or dried beans
15 x Tomato Sauce

You might want to replace some of this with some freeze dried
stuff

------------------------

The recipe for the high protein shake

Two scoops of strawberry protein powder
one scoop of porridge
one big spoonful of peanut butter
Blend with Milk

i reckon thats pretty complete

Now then if anyone else can think in terms of how they would fill
a 25 litre bucket that would be cool

Allons-y

I might add some coffee or tea to the mix and maybe some sachets of drinking chocolate.
In a SHTF situation, a girl sometimes prefers choccy to sex
(26 August 2013, 14:11)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]In a SHTF situation, a girl sometimes prefers choccy to sex

I heard Marianne Faithfull enjoys both at the same time Angel

WaylanderCool

P.S. Nice post !
(26 August 2013, 14:11)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]In a SHTF situation, a girl sometimes prefers choccy to sex

There's no accounting for taste-or lack of!Big Grin
(26 August 2013, 14:45)Waylander Wrote: [ -> ]I heard Marianne Faithfull enjoys both at the same time Angel

WaylanderCool

P.S. Nice post !

I think you're showing your age now. What was it? A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play Big Grin
have you seen Marianne Faithful latelyConfused......i wouldn't!
haven't you heard the saying "many a good tune is played on an old fiddle"?Big Grin
Now that wasn't bad... off-thread by post number 2! Has to be a record! Big Grin

I reckon this is a good thread RS - but not one I can answer from experience, I'm sorry to say Sad. I reckon if we were to give it a bit of thought, we could come up with quite a number of ways to store in 'the dreaded' bucket... but I think you'd be hard pushed to beat yours, after all, it's pretty much like a compo box, isn't it - tried and tested?
I think most people use them as a single storage because it makes finding something much easier. For example, soup mix is all in one bucket, oats in another, etc.

Personally, if I was mixing stuff, I'd be packing it as a cache to be burried. Contents would be mostly packaged, but then pour in rice to take up all the space and to absorb moisture. They way all spare space would be filled.
For me, it was the idea of modular preps/

I've got this 15 month supply list which is extensive butg I just
can't get my head around it. It's just too much for me to understand and
I know the rule about - but it bit by bit but on my finances I can't see an end to it.

Similarly, SELCO's list talks about 200 cans of this and 200 cans of that and 100kgs of this
and I just can't hack it.

But I CAN understand and source buckets that are filled, not with single items, but with everything needed (foodwise) for 14 days for 2 people or 1 month for 1 person.

I've ordered 10 x 25 litre buckets with lids at £5 each - not too bad. I reckon I can probably fill one of these easily.

In view of what I believe to be a worsening International Situation re Syria and Mid east, I'm going active.

.... and BTW .... just to continue the off thread bit, if I was a dyke, (which I'm not), I would still find Marianne's voice sexy. Anyone know where I can get Mars Bars wholesale??
This is the way I store much of my stores, I use sheep lick containers and food grade buckets for storing outside, and they contain mixed foods, the idea is that you can open one at a time, go though that before opening another, rather than opening many to get a balanced diet.

..... but I dont make it scientific in any way, I simply add a mixture of items making sure that each container includes a main meal items and fruit and veg items, fill any gaps with the likes of energy bars or packet foods or small bottles of water

If you are using any tins, dont forget to add a tin opener to each container,... I use the Army folding tin openers,... and at least a spoon

.....getting the food grade containers is not hard, most farmers throw away the sheep lick containers, so getting in there early usually secures them for you,.. the same goes for the hotel industry with the likes of veg oil buckets, both of these reseal tight
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5