Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Fancy your own well
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anybody drilled their own well? This site is great, anyone actually done it?
i think that to dig your own well you would have to own a big enough piece of land, most of us dont, but good info.

for us finding old covered over wells we be more usefull their must be 1000 s out their.
I dug one on the allotment and used blue barrels to line it.wish I had seen this firstHuh
@ Stewart: How far down did you have to go before you hit water And did you just dig it out with a spade?

@Sunna: Looking at the videos it looks like you don't need much land at all as the bore hole is only 2" in diameter !

I'm going to have a go at this!
I think that the success of this technique really will be dependant upon where you live and what the underlying geology is.

For example in this part of the country once you get down about 2 feet, you hit shale/shillet and there is no way that this technique is going to go through it, it would just shred the pipe to bits.

However in East Anglian and the South East, where the ground consists more of alluvium; sand and clay, then there is a much greater chance of it working, except in large parts of those areas the water table has been artificially lowered by water extraction to serve London and the South East, that you may find that you have to go so deep it becomes impractical.
@Devonian: Lots of clay here and so chances of success pretty good I'd have thought.
We dug down about 10ft with spades.we had to keep boarding the sides to stop cave ins.we also had to dig it a lot wider to allow ourselves enough room to work. Not something I would attempt again

We dug down about 10ft with spades.we had to keep boarding the sides to stop cave ins.we also had to dig it a lot wider to allow ourselves enough room to work. Not something I would attempt again

its solid ball clay here and its a s#d to dig. all our plants are in raised beds.as soon as a plant hits the clay level it dies.
I've read up on this and I'm going to drill into my back garden. No more hosepipe bans and who would think that there is a borehole in a back garden.

Methinks I will add this to my project list.
Pages: 1 2