Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Am i missing something obvious?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sorry in advance for what is probably a really gash question but i'm not sure about the bugout bag and bugout location stuff , I don't have a huge amount of gear yet , stores or equipment but i have way to much to walk away from or hump with me , my current plan is to bug in and sit tight wait out the event for upto a month then review the situation, i live in the suburbs and do expect to have to make a defensive position. i guess what i'm asking is are people planning to walk away from there stores as a matter of course or is this a planned fall back if your position becomes untenable?
Most people plan to bug in just because of that fact.
The shear amount of kit, food etc you'd have to walk away from...
Primarily bugging in until the situation becomes so dangerous you cant stay.
Then you make your choice....
Do you have a car, will it be working or e.m.p'd
then what wheelbarrow with some kit in?
Small car trailer pulled by hand or bike?
Bag lady shopping trolly?
Rucksack or suitcase with wheels?
Have you got a bug out location?
Is it safe and secure?
Is it in use now but wont be after an event, like a remote workshop building etc...
can you walk to it if needed?
Mines 13 miles away but I have other places I can go as well.
they dont need to be a home away from home just somewhere you and your family if you have one can be safe.
away from prying or dangerous crowds etc.

most preppers look at bugging in, fortifying their home if they can, if not and you know that your definetly bugging out because your areas a crap hole and will be so much worse after, you need b.o.l.s...

bols could be for example old mines, caves disused buildings remote farmhouses etc...
Invisibility is your friend though, being seen post event most likely would be a BAD idea...

Then you start getting into is it defendable?
What are you defending it with?
Are you on your own?
Can you manage on your own?
A lot of people say you cant but you can with ingenuity.
For example sleeping in a hidden position under cover so even if your fast asleep and somebody stumbles on your hideaway your hidden.
Things arent impossible if your own your own, sometimes harder sometimes they're easier, but doable nonethe less.
I sort of figured it was along those lines but if i'm going to adopt this plan i best get out walking , i think i will definately need to put together some cache's
Just be careful with cache's if you do make sure nobody is watching what your doing...
and make sur you document them well so you dont lose them!
I think the general idea if you will be bugging out is to 1. first find your location and scout it well. 2. walk the route you plan to use to get there, preferably off road. 3. plan to have cache's along your route at various locations, so your not bugging out carrying loads of gear but you have it available along your route. like P1 says document where your cache's are so you know where to find them. see the post about buckets.
I would also suggest that you don't use a GPS device to save the location of the cache as you can never be sure that it will be working when you need it.
Google earth os maps my trusty silva and dust of the lowa's ...guess thats my weekend boxed off! thanks guy's some interesting food for thought.
I would forget gps get a map and mark out your routes have 3 or 4 ways to get there, have more than 1 BOL and mark them all ,also mark any water or food stuffs . Farm animals , fuel anything that may help sustaine you.
get a map of your area and mark the "resources" on your bog out route on it, either plainly or in a code only you know.
Unless you have a specific bug-out location, like a hunting or fishing cabin out in the boondocks (you do have "boondocks" in the UK, don't you?), where you could preposition a hidden cache of supplies, you're probably better off "bugging in". I wouldn't want to be out in the wilds somewhere, just my wife and myself, fending off a raiding gang of MZBs. Here where I am, the whole neighborhood is on the same page. As a group, it's easier to provide security if you have greater numbers to respond if "rioters" decide to "riot" on your block or street.
Pages: 1 2