Survival UK Forums

Full Version: improvised faraday cage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I was just wondering if anybody could tell me if this would work...i'd like to turn my gun cabinet into a fixed faraday cage , don't have much electronics to protect and i figure they will fit in along with th going to cut ceiling tiles to shape to insulate the electronics from the outer metal cage...will it work? or do i need more steps?
In theory you need to use aluminum foil tape around the gaps of the door.
If you want to test it put your mobile phone inside and try to ring it.
If your phone gets no signal and it does not ring your onto a winner.
Im not saying this is 100% EMP proof but its a good start.
A metal file cabinet would do the same job as long as you fill in the bottom with steel plate or a metal clothes locker. Both will need foil tape around the gaps.
A gun safe is a good start because even the cheapest is made of thick steel. As already suggested just ensure the gaps are filled with foil or metal braid and you are on a winner.
righto...i'll get too it.
You need to do more than just putting somthing inside and hoping for the best, because your best will fail.

The stored item cannot be left to touch the inside of the Faraday cage, or the impulse will fry the kit,.. it has to be insulated

The best and cheapest way is to use cardboard,... even better boxes within boxes,..personally if I didn't have a lot to go in it, I would first make sure that the cabinet is hole free including the holes for the screws in the back,.. Aluminum tape is great for this,.. then I would line the inside of the cabinet will cardboard,..and finally if there is room I would put each item in its own cardboard box

Its also a good idea to wrap each item in baking foil, that doesn't take up any extra room
so out of curiosity if i was to put my pone in a cardboard box, then wrap it in aluminium foil it should stop any signal getting to it/potentially EMP proof?
It will depend on the strength of the impulse, so a difficult question to answer fully,... certainly what you describe is already a Faraday cage, but adding more protection is better

Take the hand held radios we both carry with us to work,.. we have them a cardboard box, and wrapped in foil, the type that goes behind radiators,... but we then put that box in a 10 inch metal money box.

Its carried [ with a few other things ] in a small rucksack
interesting Big Grin might see if i can get some cheap 2 way radios for the back of the cars do the same Smile
From everything iv seen it works better with thicker metal.
But try it and let us know please.
To test it you just have to try and ring your phone.

Multiple layers add extra protection.

The theory behind this is that the wave length used buy you phone is smaller that the wave length of an EMP.

So if your phone signal is blocked it should be fine for an EMP
ill give it a go tomorrow and see what happens Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4